Which 5th scale OnRoad to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent_Chaos

Hey all,

I'm in the market to get a 5th scale on road. I wanna race with it and I want to get the best. My club runs FG 4wd and 2wd in the same race (yeh I know) they do that since we are only 10 people.

Now the thing is I don't want to get an FG.

I am looking for the best drivetrain, easy tune, stability and performance.

What is the best onroad money can buy:
RS5, Mecatech, Genius XR3, Contrast, or H.A.R.M?

Hi, I chose the RS5 because of the quality and attention to detail...and the fact that all that carbon is cool as hell..lol Not that the other cars aren't quality cars. It's going to be a ford/chevy argument. Anybody can win with either of those cars. Just comes down to personal preference.

Google the Contrast 4wd Quattro. That's my next car. More expensive than the FG, but seems more tunable. I know what you mean about FG this and FG that as there's more out there. Let us know what you decide.

RS5 is my favourite, i run the RS5 T15 and in my opinion is the best car out there, easy to work on, fast, stable, reliable and strong! If you are looking to buy new go to
Maximumserviceracing.com

This is the comparison table that I did. The data is gathered from each website.
The only main difference was in the airbox, wing and clutch.
The brands are pretty much similar, I chose the best (well the most expensive) in each category.

Im not sure if g320 fits in these cars. So I went with 29cc ported. 300€ seems reasonable
c4c98ce3ea4b7aac60f4359be2ec5241.jpg

This is the comparison table that I did. The data is gathered from each website.
The only main difference was in the airbox, wing and clutch.
The brands are pretty much similar, I chose the best (well the most expensive) in each category.

Im not sure if g320 fits in these cars. So I went with 29cc ported. 300€ seems reasonable
c4c98ce3ea4b7aac60f4359be2ec5241.jpg

Fyi, if you plan on racing, 23cc is the limit for 2wd if I'm not mistaken. You're club might be different. The clubs we have around me have that rule.

I've seen that you have allready removed the Contrast from your list (that whould be my choice), from the 4 models you have post, the Harm is the less competitive on the track, RS5, Genius and Mecatech are at same level, allthough mecatech and genius are more users friendly,I don't agree with JayAVFC that RS5 is easy to work with,at least from electronics point of view. Choosing between one model or the other is more a question of personal choice, and decission is chosen just from stetical point of view. You will not regret any of them. Bearing in mind you are Racing 2WD and 4WD together don't discard the Contrast quattro is the only model in the market that can run in both categories with just small mods. Regarding the engine, there is no need to go to a G320, in fact a good tuned 230 or 260 is more than enough.

I've seen that you have allready removed the Contrast from your list (that whould be my choice), from the 4 models you have post, the Harm is the less competitive on the track, RS5, Genius and Mecatech are at same level, allthough mecatech and genius are more users friendly,I don't agree with JayAVFC that RS5 is easy to work with,at least from electronics point of view. Choosing between one model or the other is more a question of personal choice, and decission is chosen just from stetical point of view. You will not regret any of them. Bearing in mind you are Racing 2WD and 4WD together don't discard the Contrast quattro is the only model in the market that can run in both categories with just small mods. Regarding the engine, there is no need to go to a G320, in fact a good tuned 230 or 260 is more than enough.
Well, thank you for your feedback but the company's HQ is 10 miles away from your house and you're good friend with the owner. You also said that you are not feeling confortable with the belt as such it is exposed and altho is a cheap replacement, note that my house is thousands of miles away from it.
I strongly hate belt driven engines, i'm a drivetrain guy.

The reason I did not include it since I have seen the fixtures and the races done in the European championships, almost everybody has a RS5, Genius or Mecatech.

Im a type of guy that do not want to waste money on trying stuff, I did that before with redcat until I lost faith. Lesson learnt. So yeah, contrast may be good but honestly I do not want to be in that situation.

It's down to Rs5 and Genius as mecatech seem a bit expensive

I can understand your situation, regarding rs5 and Genius both are good cars, RS5 is more expensive to maintain if you are unlucky and damage the main chassis, but is by far the best looking one, Carbon fiber is allways atractive. Anyway you will probably get a better deal with Genius if you push them on pricing, same with Mecatech, the only reason why so many racers are driving this brands is the deal they get. In fact Mecatech list price in Spain is 2250 chassis+brakes+shocks. I think that you can easily get from 10% to 20% discount in all three brands if you ask for it, none of them sell cars in Beirut every day. lol.

I can understand your situation, regarding rs5 and Genius both are good cars, RS5 is more expensive to maintain if you are unlucky and damage the main chassis, but is by far the best looking one, Carbon fiber is allways atractive. Anyway you will probably get a better deal with Genius if you push them on pricing, same with Mecatech, the only reason why so many racers are driving this brands is the deal they get. In fact Mecatech list price in Spain is 2250 chassis+brakes+shocks. I think that you can easily get from 10% to 20% discount in all three brands if you ask for it, none of them sell cars in Beirut every day. lol.

Yeah. All they drive here is FG. They haven't heard anything else. Lebanon has a population of 4 million. I bet you 1000$ that I am the only one in those 4 mill who lurks into forums and knows every upgrade, brand and latest aftermarket techs around.

They have here the latest bikes, cars and turbos. People are obsessed with 1000 bhp+ Evos and Bmw M3s. They're only gurus in that and ofcourse illegal black market guns even Navy Seals don't use yet.

However the RC 5th scale population is pretty low. Maybe 30 guys max who are in late 30-40s who don't know poop and get fooled by sellers selling them china parts for Genuine price.

The Beirut dealer sells 4wd standard stock FGs for 1900$!! Total joke. He tells me that he has shipping and customs and he needs to make a profit. I get that. However, he travels to Germany every now and then to attend exhibitions.
He doesn't buy anything the 1st three days. But on the 4th and last day, every company offers huge sales just to sell their product and get things running. So he puts large orders, probably gets the FG for around 600$. He's also the HPI/Serpent/kyosho dealer.. Thats why he drives a 2012 porsche. Anyway, screw him.

Im going to ask both Rs5 and genius for discounts. I'll see where this will lead.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks