Which air filter set up to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SELWA

Not sure which way to go. I have these 4 that can fit on my L3. (Remember that the filter is on the top on an angle like the on-roads so height plays a factor.)

I have a:
-TGN foam pre-filter
-DDM air filter
-Outewears mesh pre-filter
-Stock foam air filter (I assume it's a stock one)

I've been using the outerwears pre-filter with the stock foam filter with good results but I'm wondering if one of the other ones will work better. Both pre-filters work on the DDM but I've heard the K&N style filter don't work the best for off-road applications. Plus if I used the TGN pre-filter it would be stretched causing more dirt to go through and possibly going into the carb.

What do you guys think??

2d7hvyd.jpg

Thanks! Sometimes the best turns out to be the one which is least expensive too. When I had my FG's their stock filter and black cover worked extremely well for me.

Just in a visual I like the stock filter it looks like the inside of the Redneck and with the outerwear outside that will reduce the larger particles from even seeing the inside filter. Looks like it could be cleaned or replaced though?

are k/n bad to use in off road use with a prefilter??

They allow more airflow and better performance but they have been proven to take out many an off road motor by allowing small particles into the cylinder taking out the top end.
By the time you put a filter over it then an outerwear's over that you have decreased the performance you are trying to gain.
The best thing is a stock with a Redneck then the outerwear's and be done. The outerwear's takes care of the bigger particles, the redneck will pretty much take care of the rest and the stock will be a back up in case of failure.
This is only my opinion.

Cleaned off:

Last edited:
If the engine lay that way I'd have no problem but on a L3 it faces upwards not forward or back. I only have 2" of room too since the body touches it.

Yes I have all the ones you see in the pic. If my engine was with the spark plug up then I'd have a stock FG filter with the black FG cover over it. Used that set up on my FG's for over 4 years with no issues at all.

Looks like the stock filter and outerwears cover will be the way to continue on.

I have the stock filter, then the Redneck then the Outewears much like what Bigger the Better has on his setup except I have my Redneck filter pulled on further to create a tighter fit since I have a Jetpro V3 pipe running around the back of my FG Baja. I can post a picture if needed.

in my fg mt's i always used a k&n filter with a outerwears sock.i never had trouble with it in the dirt at all and it still performed way better than stock.theres nothing but dust that can get through the outerwears sock.then the dust will catch on the k&n.thats it.it can breath better than the stock airfilter.

but the stock fg filter is still good.its just a cheaper way to go.its all prefrence anyway.

all in all.the outerwears sock is awsome.it keeps the bigger particals and debris out.

I personally use the harm air filter with a cover over it like used on microphones...available from rapid racing.....not rapid racing south west:d

R & n tuning 2stege filter with outwears,took my k & n off after finding small dirt/sand particles in the carb! The fg stock filters are protective tto.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks