Which pipe to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torred

I'm getting ready to order up a pipe for my 5t. Which ones help with low end? And which ones help with top end? I'm not sure which way to go yet as I don't have too much run time yet, but want to start planning. Also do silenced pipes have any performance difference against non silenced?

DDM has some nice Victory pipes for sell on DEAL OF THE DAY right now.
Normally $220, for sell at $170 + 5% discount just $162

-
I have a Bartalone tuned exhaust RAW color on the stock 29cc engine, it’s really loud I think it sounds awesome!

My neighbors call the cops every time I run it around the neighborhood.

And I honestly couldn’t tell you where I noticed the power gains.

I feel like low end and high end improve all around.
Here’s a link to the Bartalone
http://www.davesmotors.com/bartolone-rear-mount-tuned-pipe-for-losi-5ive.html

-My other 5iveT has a Losi tuned exhaust.
It sounds good too but the Bart has a much cleaner graspier roar to it.
Here’s a link to the Losi exhaust

https://www.horizonhobby.com/LOSR80...MIgu3896DC4wIVAa_ICh17Eg-zEAQYAyABEgIxTvD_BwE

I also advice on upgrading your air filter system to something like the Crazy Stu, i noticed a huge power difference when I did this mod.
Here’s a link for the intake
http://www.davesmotors.com/Crazy-Stus-Intake-System-Losi-5ive.html

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that earlier. How well do they work & fit? I've also been considering one of their blemished dominaters. Or maybe even save up for a Barto. But I'm new to 2 strokes, so don't know a whole lot about this stuff.

I've been running silenced VRC pipes on both of my 5ives for years and have been very happy with them but have wondered if Im giving up some performance just to be a bit quieter.

I have the DDM Dominator silenced pipe. Very impressed with the midrange torque and the reasonable sound levels. I have the Rovan 5T and getting the DDM to fit was a royal pia , but i did get a clean fitment. My advice is do not buy a top end pipe unless you race and can maintain peak rpm's , or you plan on a lot of wot on road speed driving. Top end pipes typically have weak low to mid power. For normal bashing low / mid torque pipes will perform best overall.

I use on the 5t the Samba big belly pipe this one will give you a lot of power beginning in the middle range up to top rpm.
This one is here the most used pipe for racing here.

I use a VRC silenced pipe on my 5ive B and have a Barty unsilenced on my Vekta.5. Both perform great but have not used other pipes on either so nothing to compare them to, other than the sound. The Barty scares the hell out of my son when I run the Vekta and the VRC is much much quieter.

DDM has some nice Victory pipes for sell on DEAL OF THE DAY right now.
Normally $220, for sell at $170 + 5% discount just $162

-
I have a Bartalone tuned exhaust RAW color on the stock 29cc engine, it’s really loud I think it sounds awesome!

My neighbors call the cops every time I run it around the neighborhood.

And I honestly couldn’t tell you where I noticed the power gains.

I feel like low end and high end improve all around.
Here’s a link to the Bartalone
http://www.davesmotors.com/bartolone-rear-mount-tuned-pipe-for-losi-5ive.html

-My other 5iveT has a Losi tuned exhaust.
It sounds good too but the Bart has a much cleaner graspier roar to it.
Here’s a link to the Losi exhaust

https://www.horizonhobby.com/LOSR80...MIgu3896DC4wIVAa_ICh17Eg-zEAQYAyABEgIxTvD_BwE

I also advice on upgrading your air filter system to something like the Crazy Stu, i noticed a huge power difference when I did this mod.
Here’s a link for the intake
http://www.davesmotors.com/Crazy-Stus-Intake-System-Losi-5ive.html
I'm curious about the cops. What did they tell you the first time the neighbors called them on you?

I'm curious about the cops. What did they tell you the first time the neighbors called them on you?

My city has a 24hr noise ordinance, so if you make any type of noise and someone gets annoyed by it. They can call the cops.

So far Only 1 cop threaten to give me a citation but nothing has happen other then a rude cop or 2 and a bunch of pissed of neighbors ?

The noise complaints only came after I upgraded the exhausts.

I used to run around the same parking lot with the stock can exhaust for hours and no one ever complained.
The same day I put the bartalone exhaust the cops got called out.

Now I have 2 5iveT’s with custom exhaust. And run them around the same parking lot with my son ?

My city has a 24hr noise ordinance, so if you make any type of noise and someone gets annoyed by it. They can call the cops.

So far Only 1 cop threaten to give me a citation but nothing has happen other then a rude cop or 2 and a bunch of pissed of neighbors ?

I used to run around the same parking lot with the stock can exhaust for hours and no one ever complained.

Now I have 2 5iveT’s with custom exhaust. And run them around the same parking lot with my son ?
Thanks for the response. PEACE!

Dang ,I am definitely getting me one of those pipes ,now I am sold!.....lol

@Torred Living in an urban area, I'm really sensitive to noise outside the usual din of the city. It's possible an unsilenced pipe might provide a slight increase in power, as the silencer could reduce the flow somewhat, depending on its construction. But unless you are doing speed runs in multiple scenarios, I doubt you will see any noticeable difference. The gains I see in my own comfort levels that someone won't harass me over the noise of my exhaust, and consideration of those I run my car around makes total sense for me to run a silenced pipe, which is still loud as poop, it just doesn't cackle.

As for pipe current recommendations, I can't make any based the current offerings because those I've used have been long discontinued. But if you look at any 2 stoke exhaust tuning white paper, you will find out, generally, that the longer chambered exhausts will increase power on the mid/top end, while shorter chambers will favor the bottom/mid ends. A silencer will increase the motor's "punch", but again this will depend on the length of the silencer. With all things being equal (motor, stinger length and diameter, clutch settings), a short pipe with a long silencer will give you a lot of low/mid and a huge low punch on the low end with a short silencer. But Silencer length is another form of alchemy altogether. From what I've seen, every pipe maker is using a close to "medium" silencer to remove it from the equation. The Dominator V2 is clearly a bottom/mid end pipe, and the Samba and VRC Pro pipes look to favor the mid to high end. The latter 2 look like the closest thing to a pipe that is trying to hit all the notes, but are likely to push towards the mid/top end with maybe a little bottom end punch. I'm currently running a very long Jetpro pipe on my 5T, and I love it to death. It's a top end pipe with a mid/long length silencer, so I'm not popping any wheelies in the grass on my stock 26cc engine, but it's still fun as hell and spins the wheels with an 8k-8.5k rpm clutch engagement. I'm looking forward to what it will do to a Race modded 34cc with stock gearing.

I am considering a VRC Pro pipe or Dom 2 for the express reason of slapping an SX5 sand rail kit on in the future and I know that my Jetpro will not fit. The VRC appeals to me probably because it looks so much like my old 1/8 scale exhausts. So if you are thinking of adding a cage like this, you might want to consider that in your decision.

But really, anything other than the stock can will give you a noticeable improvement in engine performance. I'm sure once you've made the choice, you won't regret it.

Best of luck!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks