Which shock´s are best 6mm or 8mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSH72

HI, One of my front shock is leaking :( on my baja 5b, and Im thinking in buying a new set, which should I buy the 6mm schock's our the 8mm schock's?

Is there a big diference between them, our will I be good with the 6mm instead of the 8mm :rolleyes:?

Last edited:
I think I do the normal as most of the guys here, but not that crazy as some that I see, I love my Baja :)

When choosing certain shock shafts, make certain the individual parts and seals are available. I would not want to purchase complete lower assemblies, when I just need an o-ring or circling.

When choosing certain shock shafts, make certain the individual parts and seals are available. I would not want to purchase complete lower assemblies, when I just need an o-ring or circling.

Do you now the exact messuments of the 6mm shock orings our the 8mm shock orings, Is it more dificult to find the 8mm shock orings than the 6mm, I thouth that the bigger the oring size the easy it was to find.

Do you now the exact messuments of the 6mm shock orings our the 8mm shock orings, Is it more dificult to find the 8mm shock orings than the 6mm, I thouth that the bigger the oring size the easy it was to find.

No, I haven't had the chance to take a set of O-rings to work and try and match whatever we have in various catalogs or o-ring kits. I used to always purchase genuine HPI replacements. Not sure if Dark Soul is still in business, but he used to have these almost clear O-rings for the shock shaft. There were better than the HPI stuff. After jumping back into this hobby, I could not find it listed anywhere.

I did try to match up O-rings and seals from those generic wannabe rezzies. No such luck. I tried all my catalogs at work, I even visited various heavy equipment shops like Cat, Komatsu, John Deere and hydraulic repair shops, nothing that comes close.

No, I haven't had the chance to take a set of O-rings to work and try and match whatever we have in various catalogs or o-ring kits. I used to always purchase genuine HPI replacements. Not sure if Dark Soul is still in business, but he used to have these almost clear O-rings for the shock shaft. There were better than the HPI stuff. After jumping back into this hobby, I could not find it listed anywhere.

I did try to match up O-rings and seals from those generic wannabe rezzies. No such luck. I tried all my catalogs at work, I even visited various heavy equipment shops like Cat, Komatsu, John Deere and hydraulic repair shops, nothing that comes close.

Well Thay have to buy them from some were, I don't beleve that they make does o-rings only for the bajas.

True, O-rings are out there. But shops will only stock what they need. The shops I deal with purchase in bulk. I remember years ago, I found a source for O-rings only to be told they could bring in a package of 100. I only wanted 8. With a cost of around $40 shipped for some small O-rings, I passed.

True, O-rings are out there. But shops will only stock what they need. The shops I deal with purchase in bulk. I remember years ago, I found a source for O-rings only to be told they could bring in a package of 100. I only wanted 8. With a cost of around $40 shipped for some small O-rings, I passed.

But on ebay there are a lot, but I just don't now the diameter, next time I well see what are the diameter of the o rings in the shocks and see if I will thind some on ebay that are cheap

HI, One of my front shock is leaking :( on my baja 5b, and Im thinking in buying a new set, which should I buy the 6mm schock's our the 8mm schock's?

Is there a big diference between them, our will I be good with the 6mm instead of the 8mm :rolleyes:?
Go with a 8mm shaft it will handle a greater load and incorporate shock limiting straps. This way you could bash all you want and not break the shocks

Go with a 8mm shaft it will handle a greater load and incorporate shock limiting straps. This way you could bash all you want and not break the shocks

But now the load will transfer to the next weakest link, plastic control arm. I’ve snapped a few HPI and RPM front and rear lower control arms after upgrading to Phat-Dad shock shafts with the aluminum mount. I tried making a claim with RPM years ago, never got a reply. It was around that time I got out of this hobby.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks