White gas instead of gasoline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webdr

I have been running coleman camp stove fuel (white gas) in my zenoah powered race boats for a few months now since the governing body, the IMPBA, added rules to allow it.

It burns super clean, mixes w/ oil the same as gasoline, has no adverse effects except being unable to read the plug anymore, and its 8 bucks a gallon at walmart

The main reason I switched is because it doesn't smell bad. I store all my boats inside the house and the smell of gas was becoming prevalent in my work room as well as transporting to the lake. Now, no smell at all.

Do any of you guys run camp fuel instead of gasoline in your motors?
Reason Im asking; Im getting back into 1/5th and I want to run it.

Matt

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
You can use coleman fuel..you just don't have the high octane rating...
coleman is 55 octane..pump gas is 87 & above octane....
the higher the octane rate the more power it will make.....
I understand about the smell issue......I have used coleman fuel my self....
I just miss the power out put......Slawhammer

You can use coleman fuel..you just don't have the high octane rating...
coleman is 55 octane..pump gas is 87 & above octane....
the higher the octane rate the more power it will make.....
I understand about the smell issue......I have used coleman fuel my self....
I just miss the power out put......Slawhammer

Well technically, the higher octane doesn't literally add power, but rather prevent spark knocking in high compression engines.
High octane fuel is less flammable than low octane to compensate for the high pressure, high heat when the fuel is compressed at top dead center.

The Zenoah G260PUM that we use doesn't have a high enough compression to warrant high octane fuel so we all run either 87 or camp fuel. Some guys run 100 low lead cause they are into aviation and can afford it...why, Im not sure.

So I guess my question is, are the modified zenoah/cy engines pushing higher compression than the boat engines?
Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
they do have a slight bit more compression and they do say to run 91 octane thru them, but as you already know. its really not needed. what you will notice with running 87octane pump fuel is that you you'll get a little better punch off the line, the only problem i have had was hard starts in the cold weather, but it was probly just me. high octane fuels are not needed. its just for the imagination unless your running a bored/stroked 250R..

With boat motors most of them are liquid cooled and that keeps them cooler. I don't think you will do damage to the motor using Naphtha fuel but, it lacks the additives and other added items for cleaning top ends like pump gas does. Using 2 stroke oils are another item you should make sure mix correctly. I found when experimenting with it that my 23cc stock baja motor had major run on issues with Coleman fuel and my 26cc had less punch from start. I ended up switching back.

Well technically, the higher octane doesn't literally add power, but rather prevent spark knocking in high compression engines.
High octane fuel is less flammable than low octane to compensate for the high pressure, high heat when the fuel is compressed at top dead center.

The Zenoah G260PUM that we use doesn't have a high enough compression to warrant high octane fuel so we all run either 87 or camp fuel. Some guys run 100 low lead cause they are into aviation and can afford it...why, Im not sure.

So I guess my question is, are the modified zenoah/cy engines pushing higher compression than the boat engines?
Thanks
Matt

Most of the 23cc-30.5cc motors are about 14:1 compression or higher...

I use pump gas myself. The smell of Coleman fuel just makes me think of camping too much.:clown: Doesn't feel right to me and I store both cars in the basement anyway.

to take it a step farther. Octain is used to Retard the flash poing (the point at which flames start) of a feul. so the lower the octain, the easier the fuel will ignite and burn.

so with colemans being 55, it will ignite and burn earlier than unleaded gas. High Octaine gas is thought to make more power becuz its higher octaine, when in reality its because the high octain, slows down the gas' burning time, thus produces power for a longer period of time, but not necessarily more of it. from all my reading on octaine, thats what i come from.

in reply to the op, yes you can run it. the one thing you may have to watch for is diesiling when you go to shut it down. if the motor gets too hot, the whitegas can keep running due to the low octain rating. i imagine you could put a bit of octane booster in with out too much issue, but you would have to do the math to figure out how much to add per gallon (maybe a 1/2 a shot glass as a guess).

other than that, its a much much cleaner burning fuel than unleaded gas is.

I tried it once, my car was running , I dumped the gas out and filled the tank with white fuel, I opened up the needles a bit I could not get the damn thing to go! I put some fresh fuel in the tank, warmed up the engine then put in the white gas again, I did not notice any performance increase/decrease. My only issue was I could not get it to run when the engine was cold.

Coleman fuel is $12 bucks a gallon now...very low octane like 55...you can use it
but the preformance will not be there....Granted it smells better........
Klotz 2 stroke oil has a sent in the oil...use with gasoline.....25:1 mix your good
5oz.oil to 1 gallon of gas.....Slawhammer

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks