Wire rope for pull starters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzkill

Mad?scientist
SO I made my starter cord from 1/16" steel wire rope covered with plastic , I just had it fail , the cover came off and the wire broke ! , regular pull cords look like they are 1/8" + do you think 1/8" Wire rope will work ? anybody tried 1/8" ??

I did 1/16 and have no issue with breaks?
Ya I know thats why I went 1/16" ! , there is also 3/32".

the 1/16 is around 360 lb break force 3/32" is about 600 lb
BTW this ESP top end has WAAYYY more compression than my old top end , when It pops it really kicks back on me. I need to get a compression tester.

Last edited:
I have some 1mm and some 1.5mm cable to try in a pull start, but felt it didn't recoil correctly, bought a 30meter drum of 2.5mm pull start cord for £6 instead, should keep me going a while.

Need to add atleast an extra winding on the spring. Plus the cable needs to be wrapped around the pullstart drum a little while to gain the memory of being coiled

wire ...its really not needed.....if u can use a pullstart properly that is.......??:ROFLMAO:
Well Im a fekkin BRUTE so ! actually the plastic coating came off and exposed the raw wire and I had a cover saver on the pull start and the ring on it was catching the rope./

Last edited:
Need to add atleast an extra winding on the spring. Plus the cable needs to be wrapped around the pullstart drum a little while to gain the memory of being coiled
I tried that, the spring bottomed/ wound fully in before the cord was fully pulled out, I prefer cord anyways, easier to work with.

Last edited:
My first pull on the esp34cc build i thought I did something wrong! It was hard as fek to pull lol. Good thing mine didn’t break but it felt like it was going to?
I had the same thing Much Higher compression from a ESP head than the stock Rovan, the ESP has 0.022" squish the Rovan was 0.055:" so that matters. plus I am sure a proper tight fit ring etc.

Come on guys??‍♂️ Wire pull starts aren't necessary. And I'm speaking from 32s to 85s? Just gotta learn the technique??
Yep, don't go yanking the fek out of it, then your gaurenteed to break poop. I've never broken a pullstart in my life , except for once on my 30.5 when it wasn't starting and I got frustrated and yanked too hard/much ?‍♂️? about 4 slow pulls to prime (till it pops) and then a few short bursts to start the engine. You shouldnt extend it all the way out ,I only extend it maybe 6 inches. And don't just yank it, pull it out slowly till the pawl engages the flywheel and you don't feel any more slack, then start pulling. Your starters will last muuuch longer ,sorry to burst your bubble guys but your not starting 14:1 compression 71+cc motors where you will fek pullstarts like that.

Pipe down grasshopper...ive been running rc cars longer than you've been alive. And mine broke due to getting worn out by the flywheel pelting it with sand and getting wet from the chassis wash And im tired of pulling my engine to change string so I went with the cable and I made it for about 3 dollars sooooo no harm in what I did

Pipe down grasshopper...ive been running rc cars longer than you've been alive. And mine broke due to getting worn out by the flywheel pelting it with sand and getting wet from the chassis wash And im tired of pulling my engine to change string so I went with the cable and I made it for about 3 dollars sooooo no harm in what I did
Wasn't directed at you specifically and I wasn't dissing the cable idea, I just don't understand how people are breaking the ropes and saying they are poop. And wtf does you being older have to do with this conversation at all ?‍♂️

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks