Wont prime! HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Chevy

I ran the Monster a few weeks ago and it ran fine.. I went to try to start it Today and it wouldnt even prime.. I can see bubbles in the fuel tank when I press on the primer but it will not suck the fuel through the line back to the carb..

I tried blowing through the fuel line and the lines are good..

Everything is stock..Any suggestions??

Well one of my lines is clear.. The one that goes to the top of the carb near the primer..

Ther other is black. This one goes to the bottom of the carb.. This one seems to have a filter or something attached to it on the tank..

When I prime it I see bubbles from the clear line but it wont pick up fuel ..

No actually I ran it all out before I let it sit.. Ive never had this issue before..

Whats the purpose of the black line in the tank?

the black line is the fuel line, there will be a clunk filter on this, the yellow line is return line, when you prime it and carby is fueled you should see excess fuel go into the return (yellow) line.

Oh ok so I was pumping the primer looking for fuel to pickup through the clear line when actually the fuel comes up through the black line.... and the access fuel goes back down through the yellow line to the tank

Is that correct?

Last edited:
yes that is correct, so it's priming fine if it goes through...the clunk (filter thing) is what draws the fuel into the carb. it seems opposite to pump and have fuel go to the tank but that's corrct

Chevy,this is an old one.
The clunk line should be at the bottom of the carb and the clear at the top. It sounds as if its air locked,take your fuel cap off and try it.
J

I tried that also.. I even took the carb off and try possibly every possible way .. filter off, switch lines etc...

It seems the primer is building pressure in the tank but the fuel line isnt sucking it up at all.. Is this a primer issue or a carb issue?

so you took the line off the bottom of the carb and blow into the tank and it's clear? bubbles etc.? and the return line is clear, then it's either the primer or the carb. open the carb butterfly with the throttle, hook a piece of fuel line on the bottom inlet of carb and try blowing through. if it's plugged, you might have picked up something that is blocking the jet... it's possible the diaphragm under the primer has let go, or maybe the bulb itself has a crack in it?

just a question, is the plug getting wet?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks