Won't start, tried everything

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenkolen

I put my Redcat TT (1/5 scale gas) away since last year with no fuel. I broke it out for the holidays and filled it with fuel that I had around the house. It ran but bogged down. I decided to empty the fuel and try some fresh fuel before playing with the settings.
After a few days I filled the car with fresh fuel (93 octane with 25:1) and it wouldn't start.
I tried the obvious, first I reset the carb to the initial settings, L 1 3/8 and H 1 1/4. Wouldn't start.
So I checked the plug, I am getting spark and just in case I changed the plug. Won't start.
Next I removed the carb, I took it apart and soaked it overnight in carb cleaner.
Still won't start.
I only have about 5 - 10 hours on this car since new.
What the heck am I missing here?

Is it flooded? Does it even pop with choke on?

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that was the case. I replied yesterday that:

Credit to Willclark on RC Universe. His post worked:

She may still have too much raw fuel in the bottom end from running bogged. Close both needles all the way. Remove the plug. Tilt the car up to make sure it don't run back into the cylinder if there is any. Pull the starter 10-15 times. Put the plug back in, preferably a new one. Set both needles on 1 1/4. Try to start it like normal. If it pops off with the choke on like normal but won't quite fire up with it off barely richen the low 1/8 turn till it cranks. I seem to have more trouble out of one with a sightly rich low needle than lean.

BTW what part of Florida are u in? I am in Miami.

Your real problem is the oil mix. You should be running 50:1. The manufacture oil raito is different because the oil specs in japan are different. These engines run tight so you can run less oil. The factory settings should be 1-1/2+-1/4 low and 1-3/4+-1/4 high

No. Your oil mix is fine. These are the highest revving 2 strokes made. They need more oil and good oil. Not less. 25:1 is perfect. You can run a little less if your running amsoil or castor but 25:1 is good.

My WCM manual states 50:1 oil for Zenoah. I had nothing but problems with 25:1 oil mix. Too much oil fouls the plugs out fast. These engine are tight. So you shouldn't use USA brand oil. Use Japanese oil and then you can run 25:1. It is much thinner.

That was what it sounded like. Glad you got it resolved. I'm up near Lake City. North Florida.

Just got back to town from the Everglades, a little peace, quiet, kayaking and star gazing.
Lake City is about as far away as one can get from Miami unless you go though the Panhandle! Boy this is one long state.
You probably have some nice places to open up your RC vehicle!
Thanks for the help.
Neal

well I don't care. I had nothing but problems with 25:1 mix. I contacted NGK and they told me that was what the problem was and what to do to fix it. I got tired of the problem and changed the mix. Now it starts every time one choke and one pull. Before I had to pull my arm off to get it to start and it wouldn't run very long before I had problems. Now with 50:1 it runs great less oil smoke and less leakage. I only us Amsoil.:lol:

If your running something like Amsoil Saber, it is specifically made to run at less oil mixtures like that. If you tell people its ok to run 50:1 and they run down to the hardware store and grab some cheap stuff and run 50:1, their motor isn't going to last very long.

well I don't care. I had nothing but problems with 25:1 mix. I contacted NGK and they told me that was what the problem was and what to do to fix it. I got tired of the problem and changed the mix. Now it starts every time one choke and one pull. Before I had to pull my arm off to get it to start and it wouldn't run very long before I had problems. Now with 50:1 it runs great less oil smoke and less leakage. I only us Amsoil.:lol:
Is it safe to run 50:1

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks