Would there be a difference in these disc brake systems ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou0069

Hi on these 2 pics are 2 kinds of disc brakes I can find on Ebay, is there a big difference from one to another other then approx 100$ difference ? Thanks

Screenshot_20190919-174826_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20190919-174802_eBay.jpg

With anything,quality of materials and especially design.
There's generally a good reason why good brand names charge more for their parts : IE, you get what you pay for.
Hopefully someone better aquainted with baja can reccomend you a good brake brand. I know fg, but I do know quality trumps cheaper prices. Especially with these vehicles,it's expensive when you can't stop and crash or injure someone,God forbid. Pay a little more for a good brand.
I'm sure people will chime in with their reccomendations. Just give it awhile.

With anything,quality of materials and especially design.
There's generally a good reason why good brand names charge more for their parts : IE, you get what you pay for.
Hopefully someone better aquainted with baja can reccomend you a good brake brand. I know fg, but I do know quality trumps cheaper prices. Especially with these vehicles,it's expensive when you can't stop and crash or injure someone,God forbid. Pay a little more for a good brand.
I'm sure people will chime in with their reccomendations. Just give it awhile.
Thx just asking questions as I don't no anything about disc brakes or the brands that are good or crap for that.. thx

Mecatec brakes are the best and highest quality, they are expensive and I believe the original creator of the hydro brakes for bajas (could way way wrong tho). But @1Coopgt has had good luck with his dgi ones do far. I'm Gunna state my opinion tho, I say don't buy an all wheel brake setup. It's a waste of time since you already have rear brakes. Just get the fronts. If I were you, I'd ditch the whole hydro idea and go with the KM/rovan (as much as I don't like supporting knock off companies) cable front brakes. Probably costs cheaper and less crap to deal with. That's just my opinion, take it for what it is

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never entered the wheel brake realm. However, I've been watching the successes and failures of the HPI Baja aftermarket since the original 5B was released and have experimented with over half a dozen different types of Baja brakes.

Just from a first blush, the brakes on the right have a metal reinforcement in the brake disks, which would lead me to believe that they are the better part. However, a quick google search for GTB racing leads me to Alibaba as the source of these parts. Which is a huge outsource for cheaply made commodities. I can't help but think that both brake systems are using the same manufacturer, just with slightly different coloring and assemblage. They are both likely to cause you heart ache over a mechanical setup.

Do you have a directive that requires braking on all four wheels?

I'm only asking because RCR brakes on the HPI Baja have been the absolute king of brakes for about 9 years. Prior to RCR entering the market, we HPI guys were experimenting with everything from Integy to Mecatech, mechanical and hydraulic wheel brake systems, carbon fiber disks to exotic pads, to find the right solution to slow our cars down.

Even before RCR entered the fray, all 4 wheel disk options were already deemed too heavy, too expensive and/or unreliable. Sure, you can dial in front to rear braking, but at the cost of added weight and lack of reliability. Even extremely technical short course tracks found a limited return with that kind of system. Take a look at any 1/5 scale off-road worlds race and you won't see these kind of brake systems.

So we kept experimenting. Dee's brake pads became the defacto stoppers for a long time. Then RCR introduced their brake system, and all bets were off. They actually worked! I'm not a spokesperson, but simply someone who ran through the numerous experiments on all the other transmission brake systems and found that this one actually worked, and did so well.

This is not to say that the 4 wheel disk system is bad. Traction is also an issue. In high traction on-road cars, a 4 wheel disk system will give a higher benefit to cost ratio compared to low traction off-road racing. Braking an on-road car requires a ton more turning precision due to the added traction of the surface and tires. I you want to run your Baja on-road, I have no recommendations for a 4 wheel system, as I've only run off-road.

But if you're just bashing about off-road, you're better off spending that money elsewhere and getting RCR brakes. Running with only a hitech 5645 servo, they will absolutely stop my truck within a a couple feet from full rip even in low traction.

@dougstar since you've been complaining that my latest replies have been too short, here's my doctoral dissertation for the week. ?:ROFLMAO:?

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never entered the wheel brake realm. However, I've been watching the successes and failures of the HPI Baja aftermarket since the original 5B was released and have experimented with over half a dozen different types of Baja brakes.

Just from a first blush, the brakes on the right have a metal reinforcement in the brake disks, which would lead me to believe that they are the better part. However, a quick google search for GTB racing leads me to Alibaba as the source of these parts. Which is a huge outsource for cheaply made commodities. I can't help but think that both brake systems are using the same manufacturer, just with slightly different coloring and assemblage. They are both likely to cause you heart ache over a mechanical setup.

I'm only asking because RCR brakes on the HPI Baja have been the absolute king of brakes for about 9 years. Prior to RCR entering the market, we HPI guys were experimenting with everything from Integy to Mecatech, mechanical and hydraulic wheel brake systems, carbon fiber disks to exotic pads, to find the right solution to slow our cars down.

Even before RCR entered the fray, all 4 wheel disk options were already deemed too heavy, too expensive and/or unreliable. Sure, you can dial in front to rear braking, but at the cost of added weight and lack of reliability. Even extremely technical short course tracks found a limited return with that kind of system. Take a look at any 1/5 scale off-road worlds race and you won't see these kind of brake systems.

So we kept experimenting. Dee's brake pads became the defacto stoppers for a long time. Then RCR introduced their brake system, and all bets were off. They actually worked! I'm not a spokesperson, but simply someone who ran through the numerous experiments on all the other transmission brake systems and found that this one actually worked, and did so well.

This is not to say that the 4 wheel disk system is bad. Traction is also an issue. In high traction on-road cars, a 4 wheel disk system will give a higher benefit to cost ratio compared to low traction off-road racing. Braking an on-road car requires a ton more turning precision due to the added traction of the surface and tires. I you want to run your Baja on-road, I have no recommendations for a 4 wheel system, as I've only run off-road.

But if you're just bashing about off-road, you're better off spending that money elsewhere and getting RCR brakes. Running with only a hitech 5645 servo, they will absolutely stop my truck within a a couple feet from full rip even in low traction.

@dougstar since you've been complaining that my latest replies have been too short, here's my doctoral dissertation for the week. ?:ROFLMAO:?
So if I'm understanding properly u recommended I don't get that n just get thows rcr disc n a better servo ?? I already got a 40kg servo ( cheap Amazon one) n wheels still don't lockup
So if I'm understanding properly u recommended I don't get that n just get thows rcr disc n a better servo ?? I already got a 40kg servo ( cheap Amazon one) n wheels still don't lockup
B
They don't lock up but I'm thinking its cuz on the brake line ( the metal rode) where it holds on the brake system theres like a rubber part that squishes . If it wouldn't squish I'm sure it would lock. But I'm not sure if I should remove it or not

Last edited:

B
They don't lock up but I'm thinking its cuz on the brake line ( the metal rode) where it holds on the brake system theres like a rubber part that squishes . If it wouldn't squish I'm sure it would lock. But I'm not sure if I should remove it or not
I agree with @AnubisBC , save y cash and just get sum rcr's. I'm not sure on the squishy thing tho, I Know I don't have it but I'm not sure if I should

The rubber squishy thing is most likely a but of fuel line. You should be able to lock the tires just fine with it there if everything else is working well. I also don't have a baja but have heard a lot of guy really liking the rcr set up.

The rubber squishy thing is most likely a but of fuel line. You should be able to lock the tires just fine with it there if everything else is working well. I also don't have a baja but have heard a lot of guy really liking the rcr set up.
Probably his pads won't lock or that servo is no good (don't come at me with "it says 40kg" becuase it's a China servo, they lie all the time about stuff like that) is what I'm thinking.

@Sweetlou0069 that squishy bit is a piece of fuel line to soften the braking action. Think of is as a servo saver of sorts. You still will not lock the stock brakes by removing it. They just don't grab hard enough with any servo. The RCR system uses a metal on metal approach, which will give you much more aggressive braking with the same amount of pressure.

Not knowing the actual specs on your servo, I don't know if you need a stronger one or not. This servo will lock my RCRs and it's only rated at about 11Kg max.

@Sweetlou0069 that squishy bit is a piece of fuel line to soften the braking action. Think of is as a servo saver of sorts. You still will not lock the stock brakes by removing it. They just don't grab hard enough with any servo. The RCR system uses a metal on metal approach, which will give you much more aggressive braking with the same amount of pressure.

Not knowing the actual specs on your servo, I don't know if you need a stronger one or not. This servo will lock my RCRs and it's only rated at about 11Kg max.
This is the info Amazon give for the servo . And I'm sorry but what is rcr brakes ? Trying to find on Ebay but not finding anything . Thanks
Found this for you.
He shows how to setup GTB brakes.

Watch "Gtb Front disc brakes correct set up and how to bleed them" on YouTube

Watch "Gtb Front disc brakes after install" on YouTube.
Thx
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I'm staying out of this. I got my GTB front disc brake setup from DGI . I had to get a stronger servo for the Throttle brake set up and I'll leave it at that . I will say they work awesome once you get them set up .
So gtb you satisfied once set up correctly ? You recomende or not so much ?? I just want my baja to stop when I tell it to

These are the rcr brakes right ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190930-080128_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190930-080128_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190930-081045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190930-081045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks