XRC RC-2 Air Filter upgrade??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebs XRC

Hi all, I have recently purchased an Xrc RC-2 RTR.

I have previously ran many electric and nitro 1/10th scale cars and buggy's but felt a move into the BIG BOY'S club was now needed, however having purchased an Xrc purely on impulse I was faced with hole host of little things to rectify straight from the box!

Having gone through all these little niggles the car is now running on large without fault but I feel it could benefit from a host of upgrades and inprovements some of which I am a little stuck on.

1) Can anyone recommend an upgraded Air Filter assembly? i.e K&N or alike which should bolt straight on (and not allow grit into carb).

2) Upgraded Diff Gears and bearings?

3) Upgraded Clutch shoes/spring to improve sluggish acceleration etc?

4) Anything else anybody can think of to improve driving pleasure and reliability.

I know alot of people are saying the Xrc is Cr*p but it was all I could afford at the time and alot of people also say instead of spending money on it sell it and buy/save for a Baja 5b but I like the Xrc and want to enjoy it and hopefully improve on what's not really that bad of an introduction to largescale petrol RC cars.

Hope you can :helpsmilie: a re-born RC owner

Cheers Neil

Last edited:
3) Upgraded Clutch shoes/spring to improve sluggish acceleration etc?

You could switch out the clutch spring to a higher rpm spring to lessen the bog on take off.

4) Anything else anybody can think of to improve driving pleasure and reliability.

Have you changed out the radio?
Get yourself a voltwatch battery checker so you can tell when the battery is getting dangerously low.

boy, i ve yet to see ANY hopup parts for these units.
like BtB said, a better radio system, battery voltage meter could be nice, but depending on if you get a better radio, it could have an onboard failsafe setup that could exclude the need for a voltage watch, like the Nomadio Radios do.

for airfilter setup, i firmly believe the HPI Baja airfilter system, covered with a TGN Redneck Dual stage filter, all covered up with an outerwares is one of the Best Air filter setups one can get.

as far as better parts to fix up those lil trouble areas, your pretty much on your own. its proably going to be a trail and error in fitting other parts, or modding them to fit, or just making new parts as needed. I don't think there is one company attempting to make upgrades for htem.

Bearings can be bought from alot of places, but again, im not sure anyone has a ready made set for them. you ll have to find the sizes you need and buy them either individually or buy a pack of the individual sizes.

you ll find that SOME items may work from FG or HPI. but you may need to mod some things.

GL
T

Cheapo filter

Hi neil i could have a answer for you buddy.i bought a rectangle generic lawn boy filter(2$-3$ at hardware store)then i cut it out the same shape that the square XRC cover is only made an opening the size of the 6 pin inside there...the foam that a got is more coarse and it seem to gave me more bottom end.im pretty sure the if i keep the foam well oiled its gonna be pretty good in the long run.here's a pict for ya buddy.the original one is beside it to compare

filter.jpg

hope this help

CyBerDeD

boy, i ve yet to see ANY hopup parts for these units.

as far as better parts to fix up those lil trouble areas, your pretty much on your own. its proably going to be a trail and error in fitting other parts, or modding them to fit, or just making new parts as needed. I don't think there is one company attempting to make upgrades for htem.

I was recently in http://www.radiocontrolmodelexperts.com/ and asked the guy if the parts were upgradable, after he told me how crap xrc are and i should buy a marder, he mentioned all the marder front suspension arms fit which means alloy marder parts :2guns: so i bought an xrc rc-2.
P.S. I also found a site with a few hop ups for gearing for speed and upgraded steel gears http://www.nemhobby.com/rc-2-part-c302.html if you haven't found it yet!

Last edited:
Get a ddm K&N style air filter with a outer wear or get a baja 5 b foam filter. I think some weedeater air filters were all oil foam filters. go check your local lawnmower shop that sells them or chainsaws.

yes, it comes with hardware to bolt right on. no extra performance, but the filter elements are not that great or poor at that. they easly let parts thru even if its well oiled. i have the same set-up and stuff a third chamber inside to help out, but after hitting the saw dust hill i opened up my mill and found alot of dirt inside the motor.. not good, so invest in an outerwears cover..

Back