Zen ESP Break in and choke question ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Revo

I followed the ESP suggested break in procedure and it took for ever.
Could I just have added some extra oil to the fuel, run it a bit rich and not go over 1/2 throttle for the first 2-3 fuel tanks?
The reason I ask is that a friend of mine that run mc's!!?? had the opinion that the ESP suggestede break in procedure was not needed to follow!

And the second question, the carb for ESP 30.5 has no choke, it's part of the plastic box like air filter. I would like to change it out for a stock FG air filter, but then I loose the choke. Must I then change out the carb, or are there a addon choke like air filter that will allow me to keep the carb it came with?

:w00t::lol:

I followed the ESP suggested break in procedure and it took for ever.
Could I just have added some extra oil to the fuel, run it a bit rich and not go over 1/2 throttle for the first 2-3 fuel tanks?
The reason I ask is that a friend of mine that run mc's!!?? had the opinion that the ESP suggestede break in procedure was not needed to follow!

And the second question, the carb for ESP 30.5 has no choke, it's part of the plastic box like air filter. I would like to change it out for a stock FG air filter, but then I loose the choke. Must I then change out the carb, or are there a addon choke like air filter that will allow me to keep the carb it came with?

:w00t::lol:

i can answer the choke question that is a choke less carb you have fitted there meant to be better in some ways but you will have to change the carb if you want it like the normal choke style

your best bet would be to get an air filter setup with a choke. im sure you could run it without a choke, however starting it will be difficult.

as for break in, many people just fire it up and run em a little rich and drive like normal. loading the motor up can help seat the ring. however if esp has a specific break in method it would be better to follow it.

The carb on your engine is most likely a 990 or 813. You do not need a choke with these carburetors they are designed that way. Just prime the bulb and give the throttle a few quick jabs and it will start fine. As with running in the engine ESP does not relieve his pistons so their is a real risk of cold seizing your engine when new. Follow his instruction to the letter that way if some thing goes wrong you might have some sort of warranty.

The reason ESP's directions take so long is he is making sure you get the motor to its best tune without being too lean or rich.
That is why you have to keep it reved all the way to you before immediately shutting it down to check for plug color. Its all about getting the right tune as much as it is about getting it broke in. ;)

Yes, I did follow the directions, and I argued that the direction was there for a reason.
But theres always someone that "knows better" I supose :)

The carb on your engine is most likely a 990 or 813. You do not need a choke with these carburetors they are designed that way. Just prime the bulb and give the throttle a few quick jabs and it will start fine.

So then there won't be any problem switching out the mounted airfilter, with a airfilter without a choke system?

There is no difference in the looks of the carb at all. Everything will hook up the same.

The fuel pump in the non-choked carbs are made to spray fuel in the carb when you give it throttle. So, all you do is blip the throttle and fuel is sprayed into the carb.

about the breaking-in procedure..

its 50/50 to be honest dude.

Some people just hammer the throttle on 1st tank, others (like my self) do it similar to the way nitro engines are broke in, mainly because theyve come from nitro & as they say, old habbits stick!

But most will say whichever procedure you use, they all work! as 2-strokes are MUCH more forgiving than nitro engines.

But even so, the next new engine i get will more than likely be ran in like a nitro! \o/

There has to be something to it. New 2 stroke snowmobiles have a chip that will not allow for the most performance until you hit a certain amount of hours or miles. After that it leans out and opens it up. you can actually feel when it lets go. :w00t:

The ESP break in guide was in fact a carb tune guide. So after I thought I had breaked it in, I learned that I still had to give it some more time breaking it in. Thank god I sent a mail to ESP and that stopped me from gunning it!
Halfway there now leaning out the H needle! Already it's way faster then my old 26cc :):):) I have 3 tanks through it now, soon there is time to test it out to the MAX ::):)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks