2wd or 4wd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BERNESEDUKE

Hi,I really like the look of the new Leopard,and thinking about cancelling my skiing hol,and buying one instead,the only issue i have is knowing whether to go 2 or 4wd.I would go 4wd but a few vids of the Baja comp that i have seen look like the 4wd understeers/pushes quite a lot especially on tarmac,is this the same with the Leopard and if so can you adjust front Diff so that is more likley to oversteer,sorry to go on but don't want to buy the wrong one as it's a lot of money for me.Basically i,m trying to see if the 4wd can be set up for power on controllable oversteer or should i just get the 2wd.I am not planning on racing the car,thanks for any advise or opinions,Rigs.:eek:

Thanks for reply Al,read the threads i could find just wondering if the front adjustable diff would make the car understeer/oversteer,don,t know much about the buggys,been into heli's for a few years and really fancy a change,thanks .

ive got a 2WD fg baja and a 4wd fg baja, if you want to race you want 4wd, but the 2wd is take anywhere fun.

the fg 4wd kit is awesome, so maybe start with 2WD and if you want to try 4wd down the line buy the kit.

Get the 4wd,4wd cars trucks and buggy's naturally understeer u must set the suspension different than a rear wheel drive car.. stiff in the rear soft in the front and the front diff should be set loose..

there is also the option of a front one way dif. that will increase off power steering a lot. I'll be tossing one in my 4wd baja as soon as I start making money again LOL

Thanks for all your replies,much appreciated,read some more posts and seen some saying that you can make the 4wd into 2wd cheaply,can anyone enlighten me or is it just a case of removing front driveshafts,but wouldn't want to do anything that could damage the car,but if this is possible I would go for the 4wd and have the option if I really did.t get on with it,thantuks again for all comments Rigs

yes The front adjustable would make a difference but alot of the way the car acts is the set up u could go with the new front 1way the hobbytec make but that's a 100euro get the car go stiff on the back 0 degree of camber in the rear
1-2 in the front with 1 degree of toe out.... 0 toe in the rear and drive the car hard around the track if u baby it it is going to under steer get use to coming into the corners hot.

Yes u can turn it into a 2wd by removing the front diff and the belt...
you will be good...

Last edited:
check online, heaps of people sell the 4wd conversion kit, and its an excellent kit, comes with everything and youll have spares by the end of it.

don't know about running soft front and hard rear in a 4WD to make it handle, id be doing the opposite, and seen it work in a couple of MCD's the hard front pushes the fronts down and the soft rear allows it to roll slightly and break traction, therefore you can do a 4wd slide around the tighter corners

Hi thanks again for all replies,just wondering if you have to remove belt and front diff or can you just remove front driveshafts to make it rwd,thanks again Rigs.

why would you want to? a 4wd will outhandle a 2wd off road anyday on dirt. a 4wd can turn just fine once you get the setup. you can do all kinds of stuff. I remember one 8th scale buggy I had that pushed bad so I ran harder tires of the same tread on rear and the back skated around just nice. a friend tossed me that pair of tires and said stop chasing the setup, try these on back... what a difference!

you can work with suspension to get it to do what you want. I always suggest people to to www.rcdocuments.com and download the xray xb8 manual. in the back is setup info you can use on any rc. it has charts that show if you change this, it will do this to your car.

you can also work with dif oils. every car is different too. I reflect to 8th scales a lot because I raced them for many years. a standard setup for me was 10k center dif, 5-7 front and 2-3 rear. this did not work at all in the xray. I actually thought I'd made a mistake going to that brand. ended up doing something so opposite to my understanding of difs. 3 front 3 middle 5 rear. and it was a dream to drive. I actually qualified 4th a main in the corcs finals with that buggy.

I think anything can be setup to run good if you work on it. you just need to understand what you are trying to do and what to adjust to make that happen... and only adjust 1 thing at a time then hit the track. if you make too many changes you won't know exactly what did what

Back