Bobby’s W5 max pro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Losi body washers on my McD. Never get a pull through. Any one who hasn’t had an opportunity to work on a McD is missing so much.
Nice when the body starts breaking I use these big ass washers on both sides of the panels to lock everything back together. It’s not the prettiest solution but it works great🤣

Yep. You have a few dollars worth
If spares. I’m the same way. Parts are too far away for me to not have spares. Plus my ocd won’t allow me to sleep till all my stuff is fixed.
It takes about 6-8 days for cardinal to delivery to me. Taylor takes a day but it’s much more expensive. I’ve gathered most of this stuff for east coast nationals though. It’s a long expensive trip and I’d be pissed if it ended too soon because I didn’t have something to keep me running.

Hey ya'll just got home from the east coast nationals. Overall I struggled all weekend but got it together on mains day and had a strong showing in the end.

Day 1 practice:
first time on the track was an absolute disaster. the car was very twitchy on the straights and was not jumping well. basically every run ended with very little data gain and tragic crashes leading to broken parts. By the end of day 1 I had a garbage can full of broken parts but the setup changes that were made included moved shock mounting location on a arms to farthest out postion and on shock tower 2 postions in and all the way up. front preload was set to 24mm and rear preload was set to 18mm.

Day 2 Qualifying:
first thing in the morning me and Paul papas got together and decided that it would be best to install some limiting straps to help with me breaking a arms (I lost two in the first day.) we also measured my front toe and found that it was at 1* toe in which would explain the twitchiness. we changed it to 3* toe out. and reset camber to 3* all around.

Qualifying was tragic, in qualifying 1 I broke my a arm during warm up and missed the whole run. qualifying 2 was ok I wanted to set a conservative pace because it was a cumulative seeding system but I wound up missing a lap due to a crash and never passed over the timing loop. qualifying 3 was in the rain and by the end of the run the truck had no pace because it was carrying an extra 15 pounds of weight.

I stayed up all night before the mains. I stripped the whole car and cleaned and checked everything. installed a new mod clutch with 9k spring. new pull start. new bearing to replace anything that was feeling crunchy.

Mains day:

Heres where things started to turn around for me. I started 6th in the main. I was speaking to Matt Olson about his setup and he gave me a few tips. I opened up the toe out another degree to a total of 4*, slammed the front camber to 7*, removed the front sway bar, and switched from the medium compound mini pins wheels to soft compound.

C main: passed about 4 cars in the first turn in a super clean pass on the inside and then was taken out twice in the next 2 turns and found myself back in 10th. at this point I figured my day was over and was feeling super nervous. I tried my best to calm myself and run my own race. the race of the race I focused on racing a super clean run and with about 5 minutes left in the race I found myself back up to 3rd. my and 2nd battled for a few laps until a bobble from him took me up to 2nd and I pulled away until the finish which bumped me up to the B main.

B main: I started 9th and wanted to run another clean race. I didn't take any risks on the bigger jumps which ultimately cost me a lot of time but crashing and waiting for Marshalls would have cost more for sure. I started the race and all was quiet for awhile. I didn't really gain any positions in the first couple laps but wasn't losing mush time to the pack either. I maybe gained a couple places until I suddenly lost power to the rear wheels. I thought about pulling off and calling it but figured I would finish the race because the only other thing to do was start packing to go home. a couple guys crashed out and with 2 minutes left I was limping around the track in 5th when 4th crashed and broke an a arm and 3rd started having engine issues. the guy with the broken a arm kept running to try and stay ahead of me until his engine stopped with only 30 seconds left in the race. I found myself in a spot where I needed to cross the finish line with about 20 seconds left in the run and then needed to complete another lap to finish in 3rd. I finish the race and placed 3rd which gave me the final spot in the A main.

A main:

I frantically worked to repair my car and a few minutes before the race started I had my car back together and ready to go. in the a main I started 10th. I was running as fast as I could without putting my truck at huge risk of breaking or needing assistance from a marshal. the guys on the track were insanely fast but the drop out rate at this track is very high. I made a few passes in the race and a few guys crashed out and wound up finishing 5th.

Conclusion: all in all I had a really challenging weekend. at some points I wanted to drop the mcd and go back to losi, but I stuck with it continued to make changes and it payed off. the w5 ran for 45 minutes of racing and didn't break once besides a few screws that backed out at the wrong time causing my rear driveshaft to disconnect from the drive line. I feel like I finally made great progress with my setup and know I know that the mcd is strong enough to compete and fast enough if I can get a little more race experience and confidence. Rocky Hill raceway and the east coast nationals is definitely a bucket list destination and race event to attend. I had a blast with all the guys and they run a top notch race program.A78FF2BA-6583-4F6D-9FA4-3FBB1B88F373.jpeg58B77A20-7F17-4921-B030-7EB3278A2E29.jpeg

52591916-AE8E-4128-8151-6E7ABAB8C7E8.jpeg

I’ll drink to that.
Haha I need one after this weekend🤣
starting a full rebuild. Stripped the whole car down as far as possible. Besides a few bent screws and some dead bearings everything looks ok.0F1B31C0-A73F-4BD5-BA20-0A1171641D6A.jpeg6740F299-AC0D-474E-905F-E113031504F3.jpeg604A99FE-B467-420F-9CE6-594050A2149F.jpegB7822542-9FEC-42BB-BE7C-D80FCAD3AD4F.jpeg08114189-0869-45AD-A7EF-32A5152DC371.jpeg

All the plastics took a bath and are ready to go. A lot of these parts will be replaced with fresh partsDFF7B41C-D9DA-47D3-8BEA-6D09A2DAF9D0.jpeg

Got an ultrasonic speaker coming to clean all the screws and smaller metal components.

Last edited:
Haha I need one after this weekend🤣
starting a full rebuild. Stripped the whole car down as far as possible. Besides a few bent screws and some dead bearings everything looks ok.View attachment 89087View attachment 89086View attachment 89088View attachment 89089View attachment 89090

All the plastics took a bath and are ready to go. A lot of these parts will be replaced with fresh partsView attachment 89094

Got an ultrasonic speaker coming to clean all the screws and smaller metal components.
You’ll love that cleaner.

I watched the race you were lookin good out there, was it hard to see the black body especially in the shaded spots?

Olson is just magically fast! His truck was so planted compared to every other truck.

I watched the race you were lookin good out there, was it hard to see the black body especially in the shaded spots?

Olson is just magically fast! His truck was so planted compared to every other truck.
Nah the white wheels helped. It was harder to see the ruts that were forming though

Looked like a lot of fun. Wish I coulda went! Will hopefully have everything in for my rebuild by Sunday but idk if I'll have time to put it all together. Planning on doing the Sept 16th event at Wagner weather permitting.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks