New to1/5 Scale..Slawhammer's Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where'd ya get that purty stuff?!?

Slawhammer, Where dis you get that pretty alloy gear plate and alloy carrier with 48 tooth gear? I need one too!! Great job on the refurb, I love these stories, The Mutt to the show dog......Keep up the great work.

Bear

Ok have the walbro 813 carb/ No choke and K&N style airfiler installed...My firemammer came with walbro 668 carb It was leaking and when I did get to run:

On thing on the 813, the pump may work against you. The thing is if your style in throttle application is frequent short burst of throttle the pump will flood the engine. If you just hit it and go full throttle till you need to tern then it is ok.
There only 2 defiance’s between the 813 & 668 is the pump and the eliminated chook. You can remove the chook shaft and plug the holes of the 866 and get the same flow rate as the 813.

DPS Parts

Slawhammer, Where dis you get that pretty alloy gear plate and alloy carrier with 48 tooth gear? I need one too!! Great job on the refurb, I love these stories, The Mutt to the show dog......Keep up the great work.

Bear
Bear: Thanks for your reply..I lucked out on the parts for my firehammer..
I got those from a member by the name of HELLYA....But if instock you can find them at www.danielspitstop.com there down under..I have bought items there as well...Yes this ia a tale of a very bad example of what people might get stuck with...other people's mess,who beat the hell out of it then expect to get large sum of money...Too bad my son's didn't know any better on what to buy..
I know they wanted me to feel good about the 1/5 scale...If I only knew there were going to buy a gasser I could have maybe told them to a least get a baja 5b or ss..you would have a very good place to start in this bigger better world of RC...Well the up grades will continue on this week..
more to come with pictures.....AKA Slawhammer:):)

The Walbro 813 Carb

On thing on the 813, the pump may work against you. The thing is if your style in throttle application is frequent short burst of throttle the pump will flood the engine. If you just hit it and go full throttle till you need to tern then it is ok.
There only 2 defiance’s between the 813 & 668 is the pump and the eliminated chook. You can remove the chook shaft and plug the holes of the 866 and get the same flow rate as the 813.

Shiny:: well as I know very little about these carbs It was recommended
to me by Ryan at Dave's..to help with the low bogging...Now as to my style
is...GO pull the trigger let it rip..My thought is to use my firehammer for flat out stright line drag or to set up for pulling...If go pulling route I will have to change the gearing...
Now as I know gas goes in and comes out..otherwise I don't know a thing about the inside of these carbs...I would like to know more..And I am sure I will find the answers here in the forum..And with the help some one will get me in the right place....Thank you for your reply and to all those who are intrested in chiming in ..Please do so..I can use all the help I can get...
More up grades to come..more pictures....AKA Slawhammer/Roger:2guns::2guns:

Up Grade

Ok..Enclosed is a picture of rear drive cup..you can see it is worn...
I have 2 new cups along with new dog bones coming today in the mail..
Oh.. all most forgot I have new drive squares coming also..with pins and with out pins...I just got some new FG wheels and tires ..complete...I had to reglue
the tires..piss poor job by factory ..hit & miss with glue...Now the only down
side to these wheels ..there is no band on the center hub..to keep from splitting
I guess some could be made..But for what you pay ..you would think it would
have had bands..What .50 fifty cents worth of tubing...Thanks for your replys
any suggestions or tell me what you think...AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

Attachments

• Old drive cup.jpg
    Old drive cup.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45
  • New FG Tires.jpg
    New FG Tires.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Backside of rim.jpg
    Backside of rim.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 36
Shiny:: well as I know very little about these carbs It was recommended
to me by Ryan at Dave's..to help with the low bogging...Now as to my style
is...GO pull the trigger let it rip..My thought is to use my firehammer for flat out stright line drag or to set up for pulling...If go pulling route I will have to change the gearing...
Now as I know gas goes in and comes out..otherwise I don't know a thing about the inside of these carbs...I would like to know more..And I am sure I will find the answers here in the forum..And with the help some one will get me in the right place....Thank you for your reply and to all those who are intrested in chiming in ..Please do so..I can use all the help I can get...
More up grades to come..more pictures....AKA Slawhammer/Roger:2guns::2guns:

This may help you in understanding the carburetor.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question3771.htm

It is a useful site just type what you want in the search box.

Last edited:
Oh.. all most forgot I have new drive squares coming also..with pins and with out pins...I just got some new FG wheels and tires ..complete...I had to reglue
side to these wheels ..there is no band on the center hub..to keep from splitting

Did you get the Drive shaft (dog bones) boots and springs thy will elongate your shafts life and keep grease in and dirt out.

Boote's:
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,,e,,,y1004,,,.htm
or
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,,e,,,elc_18527,,,.htm

Shaft springs
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lshop,showdetail,8182,e,1219073355-8402,,elc_18526,,@showdetail----elc_18527Tshowdetail--oel.oel_oel--marsten_keramik,.htm

I saw those tire/wheel combination on another guys Firehammer MT over on RCU. They are HUGE. I was a bit concerned that they don't have a band around the hub. I'm certain something can be found at a hardware store to fit around it.

slawhammer: I would remove all of that gear lube if I were you. If you end up with any sort of dust or dirt you will really end up wearing and damaging the gears. Another options is to buy/make some sort of cover for them. Either way good luck!

Carb

This may help you in understanding the carburetor.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question3771.htm

It is a useful site just type what you want in the search box.
Shiny: I know how most automobile carbs work from years back
Just was not sure of this tiny walbro carb..

As too the dog bones ..I just went with stock replacement for now
I will keep those in mind for the next time to replace..
Thanks for your reply..AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

Wheels & Tires

I saw those tire/wheel combination on another guys Firehammer MT over on RCU. They are HUGE. I was a bit concerned that they don't have a band around the hub. I'm certain something can be found at a hardware store to fit around it.
CSP1971: Yes you are correct..I also seen then in RCU forum..
I checked it out,,and I ordered the wheels & tires..
But when I got them founf piss poor glue job and no inner band..
I will figure some thing out for bands...Thanks for your reply...
All Suggestions welcome...AKA Slawhammer :2guns::2guns:

Lube on Gears

[AK]Zip;26604 said:
slawhammer: I would remove all of that gear lube if I were you. If you end up with any sort of dust or dirt you will really end up wearing and damaging the gears. Another options is to buy/make some sort of cover for them. Either way good luck!
[AK]Zip: ya yes you seen the lube on those gears...It applys wet ..but dries and there is a protective dry film left...Nothing collects to it..That is why I love that lube..I have used it for many different things that have gears,,
I am looking for a stainless steel cover for the gears....
You should try this lube: Dry Ice can get it from tower...
Thanks for your reply..love all you you guys with comments and replys..
AKA Slawhammer :2guns::2guns:

Ok ..Nothing new,,still waiting for parts..I did get the drive squares from tower
But there the same as I have now..I will have to file the corners of those squares to make work for the FG wheels..Will also have to make a band for inner hub ..to keep from splitting..AKA Slawhammer

gear Lube

[AK]Zip;26604 said:
Zip: no need to remove the lube..It goes on wet dries and leaves a film...
No dirt or dust will collect..It is a great product...
AKA Slawhammer

Well I ordered new drive squares from tower for my firehammer..Yup just got them
same thing..rounded corners..So I had to file them with diamond files..took about 4 hours
I have no power tools like dermal or a grinder..Now to make some bands for the inside hub
Then new wheels & tires ..ready to go...That's where I am it with this project..
AKA Slawhammer

The Firehammer can be a great truck to drive. You are well on the way to fixing most of the common problems that can make them frustrating at times. I owned one for a year, and it was a good introduction to large scale for me.

I agree with Shiny...go back to a stock carby for a larger engine like yours. The 813 is great for smaller engines like the 23cc for giving it a "low-end kick" but they can be very difficult in regards to tuning them with a larger engine.

I would probably ditch the K&N air filter also....they are BAD in dusty conditions...and even on grass could cause some issues for you.

By the way...I lived in Ohio for a few months some years back....bloody hell was it cold!

Nice to have you on the forums.

Good Suggestion

The Firehammer can be a great truck to drive. You are well on the way to fixing most of the common problems that can make them frustrating at times. I owned one for a year, and it was a good introduction to large scale for me.

I agree with Shiny...go back to a stock carby for a larger engine like yours. The 813 is great for smaller engines like the 23cc for giving it a "low-end kick" but they can be very difficult in regards to tuning them with a larger engine.

I would probably ditch the K&N air filter also....they are BAD in dusty conditions...and even on grass could cause some issues for you.

By the way...I lived in Ohio for a few months some years back....bloody hell was it cold!

Nice to have you on the forums.

As too the 813 carb..Ryan from Dave's motors suggested it cuz I was having bogging on low end...I think I can set it up using a tacometer ..to get adjustments..If not I will buy a new 688..Yeah I hear ya on the airfilter..
Ihad foam come apart before and get in the engine..Catch 22 here..Which way to go....As to living here not bad ..you think cold here you should live upper Wisconsin..now that's cold 49 below zero in december...Thanks for the welcome..AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

The drive squares are done read to install...Went to machine shop too see about getting
collars made for the wheels...They said..sure we can make you collers for those wheels..
@10 bucks per wheel plus material..I said no thanks ..not to day.Wondering what to do next...Thought go to plumbing shop..In luck there..got black gas pipe ..1 inch x 3 inch
long..yeah $1.98 + Tax like $2.08 more like it...Went home cut 4 chunks in to 1/2
sections..now to get fitted to inside of wheel hubs..Called my son going to use his
cordless dermal...Will see how long that lasts on a battery charge...I will keep ya posted
on what's next...Thanks for your suggestions..AKA Slawhammer

Wheel collers

God luck. Hope it last longe, so we can save 8 $ if needed a collar.
Hey Shiny: Thanks for the reply..I do not know if you can buy those steel
bands for the inner wheel hub..
Well ran the battery down in about 10 minutes...It's been most of the day
filing gringing and fitting..Chit only took 5 hours for 1 coller...
It is flush fit and epoxyed...I don't see why I won't work...Enclosed Picture..
It's going to be a long struggle on the next 3 collers...I think I should just do
the rear..that's where all the power is at...Yeah I hear ya,,but you will want to change the tires that are worn on the back to front..Bla Bla Bla ya say..
AKA Slawhammer:2guns::2guns:

Attachments

• Steel Coller.jpg
    Steel Coller.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 36
Back