Baja 5B Engine Selection Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zxb466

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
I recently got back into the 1/5th scale rc hobby. I purchased a HPI Baja 5B SBK gas version. I need some help choosing an engine for this vehicle. Any recommendations?

I am stuck choosing between DDM or OBR (O'Niell Brother's Racing). I am also stuck between 32cc or 34cc. I ordered a Victory RC PRO pipe from DDM because it was the deal of the day and I got it for $189 shipped. Was also wondering if this pipe would go well with either a 32cc or 34cc?

For DDM, I am considering either their 31.8cc ESP ported engine or their 34cc ESP ported engine. For OBR, I am considering their fully modified signature series 31.8cc or 34cc. Any advice will help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Taylor rc 35cc engines are legit. I have a OBR ss reed g320 full mod there legit too but the ultamite pipe to put on the engines I recommend is the taylor rc pipe.
Vrc pro pipe was intended for 30.5 cc and below. Taylor pipe intended for 32-35cc and it does make a difference. My obr 32 with taylor pipe is very snappy.

I also have a esp 30.5 ported engine They run very strong too.
Also whatever engine you run make sure it has the 8000 rpm clutch spring in it and get a step or 2 higher gears.

Taylor rc 35cc engines are legit. I have a OBR ss reed g320 full mod there legit too but the ultamite pipe to put on the engines I recommend is the taylor rc pipe.
Vrc pro pipe was intended for 30.5 cc and below. Taylor pipe intended for 32-35cc and it does make a difference. My obr 32 with taylor pipe is very snappy.

Also whatever engine you run make sure it has the 8000 rpm clutch spring in it and get a step or 2 higher gears.
Thanks for your reply. Just looked at the Taylor 35cc V2 reed motor. I am now leaning towards that, it looks like a beast. When you say higher gearing, what ratio do you mean? I am still new in this area so not sure what 1 or 2 steps higher would be. Will everything else stock work on the HPI Baja 5b?

Also the Taylor V2 Reed 35cc engine only gives me an option to purchase a 9500 rpm clutch. Is the 8000 rpm clutch better for this engine?

Stock pinion and spur gear is 17/57.

If it were me and I was getting the taylor 35 I would put 19/55 gears in it. Or even 20/54. Make sure to get metal pinion and spur gears as the plastic ones will never last. The stock transmission should be fine. You might want stronger dogbones though.
The 9500 clutch spring will work great with it as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks