Baja 5B first run and improvements needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

First thing I must say is WOW! I love driving this thing! This is my first 2wd and it is awesome! It is stable, jumps well, and has a lot of speed and power from the castle xlx2/800kv power plant.

There are a few improvements needed:
1: The battery tray is terrible and the cover pops off quickly. I will figure out a way to put straps to hold the batteries down.

2: Kraken RC needs to harden their plastic… one cartwheel session and top plastic stretches and both shocks popped off the mount. I am going to put a washer or order a set of holder caps to keep them from popping off.

3: Tuning. It seems great for the most part. I have the Kraken shocks in the rear with heavy spring and the front with light spring. I am going to put the stiffer springs in the front as well.

4: The plastic holding the rear sway bar in place is useless. The sway bar just pops out.

5: The spur cover is super flimsy and does not stay in place. It might as well not even be there.

To me all these things are minor…except krakens rod ends (getting really frustrated with the quality on Kraken plastic).

Overall I am pleased and look forward to coming up with solutions to the issues I found!

IMG_0232.jpegIMG_0230.jpeg

Nice! Sway bars are either popping out there or of the rods, their small and doubtful they do a whole lot, you got alot of power there! Much more than gas, so your putting lots of stress on the weak spots, must be some metal shock caps available for those shocks???
I put metal reservoir caps on my baja but never went brushless cause I felt the car would tear apart or smash to bits on crash landings.
Got my baja along time ago and had to put metal in several places as I learned 1/5 th scale. Not sure what the spur cover is like now but my gas one had two pins, but I only ever put one and it held not to bad, maybe the new version eliminated the second cause it was to hard to put on, or was it always falling of on it's own? Cant even remembered now, but some guys ran with out, it just needs to keep the big chunks out
Ouhps, did a check and I still have both I think it kind of hooks on the big gear side

16930781946086210305941863134980.jpg

Attachments

• 16930784106642714896738576391232.jpg
    16930784106642714896738576391232.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1
I just went ahead and removed the rear sway bar. I probably won't notice that its gone. I tried the heavier springs on the Kraken shocks for the front and they are just WAYYYYYYY to stiff. If you push the suspension down and let go it snaps back up so fast with no dampening at all. I put the stock shocks/springs on the front and I am much happier with them. I do like the Kraken shocks with stiff springs in the rear though.

on the old hpi baja a company used to make alloy versions of the sway bar brackets, that cured the bar popping out issue(y),
they were quite expensive from what i remember and a lot of us just made out own if we ran the rear sway bar,

Well, I had an extra Tekno battery strap, so I wrapped it across the chassis under and over the battery tray cover. It looks like it will work well. I’ll go out next weekend and do some cartwheels to test it.😁

IMG_0239.jpegIMG_0238.jpeg

First thing I must say is WOW! I love driving this thing! This is my first 2wd and it is awesome! It is stable, jumps well, and has a lot of speed and power from the castle xlx2/800kv power plant.

There are a few improvements needed:
1: The battery tray is terrible and the cover pops off quickly. I will figure out a way to put straps to hold the batteries down.

2: Kraken RC needs to harden their plastic… one cartwheel session and top plastic stretches and both shocks popped off the mount. I am going to put a washer or order a set of holder caps to keep them from popping off.

3: Tuning. It seems great for the most part. I have the Kraken shocks in the rear with heavy spring and the front with light spring. I am going to put the stiffer springs in the front as well.

4: The plastic holding the rear sway bar in place is useless. The sway bar just pops out.

5: The spur cover is super flimsy and does not stay in place. It might as well not even be there.

To me all these things are minor…except krakens rod ends (getting really frustrated with the quality on Kraken plastic).

Overall I am pleased and look forward to coming up with solutions to the issues I found!

View attachment 89235View attachment 89234
Ive hurd about the problem with the sway bar coming loose but never experienced it. I have also hurd the metal ones work better maybe this will work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14418955...Tsy7n0gpScH0SugzvRF41ih-nudL4VIwaAuIsEALw_wcB
Ive hurd about the problem with the sway bar coming loose but never experienced it. I have also hurd the metal ones work better maybe this will work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14418955...Tsy7n0gpScH0SugzvRF41ih-nudL4VIwaAuIsEALw_wcB
I use this one: https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rv-baja-buggy-truck-sway-bar-complete-set-up.html

I use this one: https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rv-baja-buggy-truck-sway-bar-complete-set-up.html
1693712862625.png

Back