1/10 SCT Diff Tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t2boats

Hi all,
Not sure but this has probably been covered over past years. I've recently got into 1/10 electric short course truck racing at my local club and seeking a bit of advice on diff tuning. Now even though I've raced n had fun at club level for countless years, with the exception of suspension and electrics etc, the one thing I have never dabbled with is tuned diffs. When I bought my rallycross buggy the seller had put in (from front to back): 7000/5000/3000 oil in each diff respectively. I must admit it works very well indeed in straight lines, cornering, and powering out of corners. With my brushless electric sct it is of course nowhere near the weight of the 1/8 buggy, but would these 3 oil grades work just aswell in a 1/10 or will it need something more suitable?
Sorry if it's a daft question but I thought worth asking, some other folk may find it useful too! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Usually the center diff. is thicker than front and rear, so 5k front 7k middle, and 3K rear would be a great baseline setup for short course. I run 10K center diff with 7K front and 5k rear and it is dialed.....

Ah nice one thank you! I don't have to buy other oils now, yay!! I'll get them sorted soon n reply back on this thread with some news. The truck comes with the same grease in each diff as stock, just fancy doing something else aswell as the power upgrades. Thanks again!

Tried out the Viper sand buggy this evening with the diffs oiled up as follows, front - 5000, mid - 7000, and rear - 3000. It performs a lot better, but, is still a bit too front-wheel-happy.. I think I'll change out the oil, clean out and add 7000 to front, 5000 to mid. There's just a bit too much front wheel spin.

You want thicker center diff. oil not thinner. Go up to 10K at least. Thinner oil makes the diff. unload to the tires with the least weight on them, ie. the front during acceleration. Also the inside tire when cornering.....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks