1/4 Scale servos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBonn

Do you have to use a 1/4 scale servo? What if there is a servo that delivers the same torque and speed as the 1/4 servo, but half the weight. Can I use that instead of the 1/4 scale servo?

I was thinking of installing this for my steering servos

DS8711 ULTRA TORQUE SERVO Specs
Type: Digital Ultra Torque
Torque: 347 oz/in @ 4.8V, 403 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .19 sec/60° @ 4.8V, .15 sec/60° @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): .82" x 1.58" x 1.56"
Weight: 2.36 oz
Gears: Metal alloy

or

Z9100S Digital Ultra-Speed MG Servo Specs
Type: Digital Ultra-Speed Metal Gear Servo
Torque: 150 oz/in @ 4.8V, 180 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .08 sec / 60 degrees @ 4.8V, .06 sec / 60 degrees @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): 0.827"x1.59"x1.569"
Weight: 2.3 oz
Bearing: Dual Wide Spaced Bearing
Motor Type: Coreless
Gears: Metal
Application: Surface vehicles

and this for my throttle/brake servo

Z9100S Digital Ultra-Speed MG Servo Specs
Type: Digital Ultra-Speed Metal Gear Servo
Torque: 150 oz/in @ 4.8V, 180 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .08 sec / 60 degrees @ 4.8V, .06 sec / 60 degrees @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): 0.827"x1.59"x1.569"
Weight: 2.3 oz
Bearing: Dual Wide Spaced Bearing
Motor Type: Coreless
Gears: Metal
Application: Surface vehicles

What do you all think?

I'm just thinking out loud, why are you looking into a standard size? If its just for size/weight is this for an on road or racing? If for off road I'm not sure the weight savings is worth the size difference. I also would not think the weight savings would justify the modifications exc It would take for fitting. For throttle and brake the standard would and does work fine but the stress of the steering on a large scale would be too much in my opinion for a standard size servo. I am no physics professor but In theory the size of the gears and parts are smaller and the amount of stress put on the smaller parts may be a problem with the larger model. :) JMHO...

I think I'd agree as well with Bigger on this. When building some of my things, I tried looking for small, strong servos, but realized that this would lead to premature failure. Like BTB said, the more compact servo will inevitably have smaller gears inside, which will be subject to too much stress.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks