1/5 Scale Trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

702Shooter

So yesterday I decided to get back into R/C. It's been 15+ years since I've built or raced anything.

I've decided I want a 1/5 scale truck and I'm looking for recommendations.

I want it big, fast, durable, and the more mod options, the better.

Any suggestions?

Budget? 2k+

4wd or 2? with the HPI 5T about to be released, i would have to give it a HARD look for a first gasser. great platform, and all sorts of help and support for it already via HPI and the aftermarket. most any upgrade for the Baja 5B buggy will work on the truck, Stock or aftermarket.

it retails at 1350 RTR but i do suggest a few things like a new 2.4 radio system, motor kill switch and adjustable clutch with Phatdad shock shafts, TGN redneck air filter and a outerwares filter bag to start out. they should be getting to market any time now.

4wd or 2? with the HPI 5T about to be released, i would have to give it a HARD look for a first gasser. great platform, and all sorts of help and support for it already via HPI and the aftermarket. most any upgrade for the Baja 5B buggy will work on the truck, Stock or aftermarket.

it retails at 1350 RTR but i do suggest a few things like a new 2.4 radio system, motor kill switch and adjustable clutch with Phatdad shock shafts, TGN redneck air filter and a outerwares filter bag to start out. they should be getting to market any time now.

I could go either 2WD of 4. I was thinking 4 but some of the 2WD trucks look good to me too. Again, I'm open to suggestion on that as well.

I'll check out what you mentioned. Thank you. :)

Just make sure when you buy one that you can get your parts from your local hobby shop. I bought a chinese firehammer mt clone and I can order my parts from the shop on a monday morning and by wednesday I have them unless his supplier is out of stock.

I own 3 5th scale models a FG MB Pro and 2 MCD's a RR and a Baja 1000, I can't get any parts locally. I have not had any issues with either, it does make sense to purchase what you can get parts for locally. Good luck in your decision.

I have a MCD baja 1000 which is 4wd and to me there is no other r/c on the market that compares to the driveabilty that you get from a MCD. Don't get me wrong they are a little pricey but truly worth the investment. Good luck on your choice.

choices, choices...

702 shooter,
Glad to have you back. There is a ton of great stuff out there. Mostly it depends on what kind of $$$ you want to blow. The 5B, Or 5T are your best bet for aftermarket support, and ease of finding parts. There are even some clones out there that are a little bit easier on the wallet, if your $$'s tight.

I have a MCD baja 1000 which is 4wd and to me there is no other r/c on the market that compares to the driveabilty that you get from a MCD. Don't get me wrong they are a little pricey but truly worth the investment. Good luck on your choice.

You must have driven many other 1/5 scale R/C's to be able to offer a statement like that. Any suggestions on what I should stay away from?

Before I posted here I had my eye on the FG MT and now I am strongly considering the HPI 5T.

Budget is not an issue. I'll spend whatever I want to spend to make myself happy with it. I'm sure I will dump a lot more into modifications within 4 months of getting which ever truck I decide on.

As for the 5T....And forgive me if this is a stupid question....Is there a place that has different compatible bodies that I can check out?

Last edited:
2wd and 4wd are very differen t, if I were you I would buy a MCD Baja 1000 and a FG Monster Beetle Pro or MT. So you can see how different they are, they are both very fun in their own way but very different. I can beat my FG all day and it will come back for more. They are alot cheaper than a FG and very fun. The MCD's having 4wd handle alot better and they should. Hope that confuses you more. lol

You must have driven many other 1/5 scale R/C's to be able to offer a statement like that. Any suggestions on what I should stay away from?

Before I posted here I had my eye on the FG MT and not I am strongly considering the HPI 5T.

Budget is not an issue. I'll spend whatever I want to spend to make myself happy with it. I'm sure I will dump a lot more into modifications within 4 months of getting which ever truck I decide on.

As for the 5T....And forgive me if this is a stupid question....Is there a place that has different compatible bodies that I can check out?
Its truly up to you and what you want to spend your money on. I'm in no postion to say what car is good and what car is bad. They all have there own purpose and depending on how and where you drive would determine whats good or bad. I just know what I like and my driving style so thats why I choose the MCD line.

I only have two a FS King Kong which is a 4x4 and drives and handles incredibly (With an upgraded motor), and a HPI Baja 5B. The Baja will take punishment like no other. I have no idea how many times I've tried to gap this massive 20 foot dirt pile I've been bashing at only to have that thing nose dive overshooting or cartwheeling and flipping to the ground and I rarely break anything. This is with a virtually stock SS so far too. Just have aluminum rear lower arms and RPM's on the front.

IF your just getting back into it there will be time to try out MCD's and FG's and all the other high performance racers. But if you want a weekend warrior that you can start up crash around and put away then the Baja is probably a really good bet.

The only other body that will fit on the 5T is my RAMTech-RC Trophy Truck body.

Truck Body at TGN

These were made well before the 5T came out, as a low cost solution to get a Trophy Truck look. Now that the pricing is out for the 5T, this is an alternative to the $1400 price tag.

The only other body that will fit on the 5T is my RAMTech-RC Trophy Truck body.

Truck Body at TGN

These were made well before the 5T came out, as a low cost solution to get a Trophy Truck look. Now that the pricing is out for the 5T, this is an alternative to the $1400 price tag.

OK, now I am confused.

This is from HPI's site:

"Truck Body Mounts - Tough nylon construction and 8 mounting points keep the truck body securely mounted, fully adjustable design for compatibility."

So, how can it be fully adjustable for compatibility yet not be compatible with multiple bodies?

OK, now I am confused.

This is from HPI's site:

"Truck Body Mounts - Tough nylon construction and 8 mounting points keep the truck body securely mounted, fully adjustable design for compatibility."

So, how can it be fully adjustable for compatibility yet not be compatible with multiple bodies?

It is 100% compatible with the stock body. lol

It is fully compatable if you want to switch back to a regular desert body. The SS and 5T are the same chassis, but the 5T has around 20 extra plastic parts to make the trophy truck body mount nicer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks