1/8 Nitro MT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar_Bus

Seems like the 1/8 nitro MT segment has taken a fall compared to 10-15 years ago. Ive been researching and theres not a lot out there currently . Seems a lot of cheap looking , sub $400 no-name brand MT's and Redcats which also seem to have a bad reputation. Are the Savage 4.6's still a good buy ? How come Savages seem so hard to find lately ? They were the goto tough basher platform years ago..

Seems like the 1/8 nitro MT segment has taken a fall compared to 10-15 years ago. Ive been researching and theres not a lot out there currently . Seems a lot of cheap looking , sub $400 no-name brand MT's and Redcats which also seem to have a bad reputation. Are the Savage 4.6's still a good buy ? How come Savages seem so hard to find lately ? They were the goto tough basher platform years ago..
Hpi was sold out. And is just starting to make parts. And yes a savage platform is awesome. Had one for years as a nitro then converted it to brushless. The 4.6 was the better engine. I had the 5.9 in the xl. wouldnt hold a tune for crap. Always fiddling with it to keep it running right.
Good luck.

Ive has the savage xl for mabe 8 years now. I have only broken a couple shocks. That thing is durable. I replaced the 5.9 with a dynamite .28 and it is WAY better. Unfortunately they don't make them as good anymore, my uncle got a new flux xl and it was :poop: . We both have the older good savages the SS and The XL.There are some on ebay and other places.
I also have MGT, pirate monster (one regular, its a roller RN), (and of course my twin), tmaxx, earthquake. My uncle has a revo also.

yeah them early savage bulkheads r ?????to work on ☹...i like newer easy access ones though???
I think the one truck that had potential to be great but ended up to be crap was the duratrax warhead. The fact that you could use a bump box on it so you could run the high end motors was Awesome. I wish hpi would have made the savage with that capability.

The only issue I had with the original chrome 5 spoke Savage 25 wheels was stress cracks at the hub hex. Adding epoxy strengthened this area.

So after more research now i see why HPI stuff is unobtainable right now as they have gone through multiple corperate sales and bankrupts. Im still trying to figure out what to buy (truggy or MT). The terrain im bashing on i think will be best suited with the extra ground clearence of an MT, but member CrucialRC has an awesome deal on a super clean race quality truggy. What do you guys recommend for a quality MT (that is available) similar to the Savage ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks