1 year with the km and......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhilly82

Well I have had the baja for 1 year as of today and i thought i would post up my thoughts and what I had to replace on it.

First thing that went was my Throttle/Brake servo, locked up tight. So at that time I replaced both the sterring servo and Throttle servo. In replacing the sterring servo I installed the hpi radio box so the servo would fit.

After a hour of bashing in the sand, my clutch went. Replaced with a new clutch and 8000rpm spring, also installed the km inclosed clutch cover, no problems since with the clutch.

About 5 runs in my plug wire went after a roll over on pavement. Replaced with a copper core aceel plug wire and installed the km steel roll cage.

After around 4 gallons of 100LL (only gas in my aera with no ethanol in it) the motor lost all compression. After close inspection and forum searching the root cause was sucking in sand around the carb shaft. I installed o'rings around the motor and installed a cy26.

That is all the parts/failures i have had with it over a years time. I don't jump it that much, just a little sand brume around the river that i get 3-4 feet of air. The stock plastic has held up way past me exceptions and i would recommend to anyone who wants a 5th scale and is on a budget.

Other thoughts on the Km 5b is do the carb seal mod asap if you run in anykind of dust to save your motor. Install a kill switch, it saved my baja when the servo failed, saved who knows how much money. Possibly it saved it from a total loss.

Sounds like you swapped everything one would swap if they bought a base model HPI, except you saved a ton of dough.

I'm approaching the year mark with mine (V 2.0), and I really can't be happier with it.

I bought the Alloy version and would say to anyone who is thinking off getting the same type is "just get the standard version with the plastic arms", the alloy wears quickly around pins and ball joints plus it would be cheaper....i too had to swap out the servos, carb and pull start...

mine after a few changes along side my HPI baja...
38012[/ATTACH]"]DSCF3890.gif

Attachments

• DSCF3890.gif
    DSCF3890.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
I bought the Alloy version and would say to anyone who is thinking off getting the same type is "just get the standard version with the plastic arms", the alloy wears quickly around pins and ball joints plus it would be cheaper....i too had to swap out the servos, carb and pull start...

mine after a few changes along side my HPI baja...
38034[/ATTACH]"]DSCF3890.gif

I like the metal windows on the KM. Did you fab those yourself? Very nice.

Attachments

• DSCF3890.gif
    DSCF3890.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
I like the metal windows on the KM. Did you fab those yourself? Very nice.

I think they're made by RSX Racing but not 100%, i'll take a look later, got them in the draw somewhere, only use them now for making windows with out of perspex, great for drawing around then sanding up to them for a nice clean edge..

Last edited:
Killswitch. Kills the motor.
Fail safe. Makes the servos go neutral or what ever you set them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks