2 speed gearbox

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toptints

Hi All. I have just put a 2 speed gearbox into my FG porsche... can anyone recommend the best gearing ratios for the touring cars... and the best place to buy the gears from. I'm still trying to set up the gear change also at the minuite.

Chris

gear ratios depend greatly on the track you run and what conditions are like. i haven't played with a 2 speed on a 1/5 scale, but racing 1/10 scale nitro touring i have lots of experience.

-you want 2nd gear to top out just before you have to let off to brake at the end of the longest straight
-first gear depends greatly on the infield of the track. on the short stretches you want the car to stay in 1st gear, and the biggest thing is you don't want the car to shift before a corner. also keep traction in mind, being a 2wd car you don't want to make 1st too short as it can cause tire spin issues.
-you want the shift point to be set so the car isnt shifting just before corners, you don't want to have it shift too soon and bog the motor (our motors have enough power its not a big issue) nor do you want the motor screaming when it shifts. the shift point is a balancing act with 1st gear ratio.

keep in mind that when the car shifts it will upset the chassis a little. generally the higher the shift point or the larger the 1-2 gear ratio spread, the worse it will be.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks