2 speed help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livelifehard

The bolt holding my 2 speed gear assembly to the layshaft keeps loosing.If I tighten it up really good everything seems to bind.Is there some kind of spacer that goes behind both gears on the layshaft?What loc-tite would be best?My son and I are new to rc I could really use any help!

welcome to forum,
are you using the aluminum washer that goes in front of that screw for the 2 speed spur gears?also theres thrust washer between the 2 spur gears.check if thats in place.
now my other questions is have you disassembled the 2 speed? i ask since if you don't place the hub and bearing in the right spot on the shaft, it will be off a bit and when you tighten up everything the gears seem to bind,had this happen to me on my old 2 speed.
and the last this is it binding to the point you cant move the gears by hand? if it's not and you can move them by hand try to run it a bit to work out anything thats binding it up , i did that couple times with no issues,but only run it for about 15-20 seconds just to get the gears to turn over a couple times.

red loctite would be best, but i have used blue loctite with no issues,either way let the loctite dry so it does it's job.

Loctite is your friend...I had the same issue (my bolt completely out, luckily no real damage). I loctited the poop out of it with blue and tightened the crap out of it...so far so good. Just check the bolt every 20-30 mins to be on the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:
yah for that bolt use blue loctite. blue is for anything that wont have heat induced, like a part bolted to frame, red is used for anything heat will be induced like a engine head bolt.

Is their a easy way to get red lock-tight off. I have a different truck want to add my Aluminum engine plate but I cannot get gear off of clutch shaft. Twisted Allen whench when tring to apply force?

I have had the 2 speed assembly apart.I put all the washers back in place by
the diagram that I have.I can turn it by hand.It just seems to bind up quite a bit.I used blue loc-tite yesterday morning.Im gone try and run it a little today.

binding might be from gear mesh being tight, ya might check clearances on spur to pinion gears, if tight some folks loosen up all mounting bolts , possibly move things a bit, mounts wont move much, but maybe nuff to gain a lil clearance, then retighten down

when i did my upgrading in that area, i had to do that, was just a tad tight on mesh, loosened all mounting bolts that was concerning that, it shifted a lil then retightened and alls good

Found the problem lastnight..I took everything apart one more time to do some close inspecting.I had tried everything I knew to do and everything i was told to do on here.I found that the one way bearing has a tight spot in it.Its almost 1/3 of its total revolution.I guess once I tightened up everything it just alot more noticeable.

Found the problem lastnight..I took everything apart one more time to do some close inspecting.I had tried everything I knew to do and everything i was told to do on here.I found that the one way bearing has a tight spot in it.Its almost 1/3 of its total revolution.I guess once I tightened up everything it just alot more noticeable.

you may have gotten one with a bad bearing, stuff like that happens sometimes. i know mentioned round here is a link someplace for a replacement bearing, or i know Dan on ebay has them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks