2 speed issue..AGAIN!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voo2doo

In Memoriam
PLUS member
Right chaps......As I said the other day about the installation of my two speed.It went in ok but when I came to put the layshaft gear on the shaft was too short and the gears would not mesh!
Now anyone who has a 2 speed knows that there is no play in the shaft,so you cant slide it to make up the difference,so I'm stuck.I have had this before but cant remember how I sorted it.Oh,and if I reverse the pinion theres not enough shaft for the grubs to bite.
Any help please folks:helpsmilie:
J.

Last edited:
James it looks like the layshaft and gear are ok :2guns:and that the diff

gear is out of line

How can the diff be out? Its running on alloy holders and cant be adjusted. The layshaft needs an extra 2-3mm so the grubs can get their grip but how? As said in my previous there is no adjustment on the shaft. I did solve it once but how I did I cant remember and cant find the post. Pipeous gave me a good clue,if I could find the post I'd be a happy man.
J

How can the diff be out? Its running on alloy holders and cant be adjusted. The layshaft needs an extra 2-3mm so the grubs can get their grip but how? As said in my previous there is no adjustment on the shaft. I did solve it once but how I did I cant remember and cant find the post. Pipeous gave me a good clue,if I could find the post I'd be a happy man.
J

yes i know it just looked that way:clown:...James are there any spacing washers on the layshaft

You said something about the "centrifugal clutch" the one with the claw was on the shaft too much!!

Chris

Yes Keith,there are two shims on the shaft but I don't think thats enough to knock it out.If i remove the shims then the pinion and centrifugal clutch with foul on the gear carrier.
Yes Chris ,thanks,I found it and have slackened the clutch off but to no affect.I'll have another go later,bit busy now.
Thanks for the help fellas.
J.

The gear has to be flipped around, the layshaft gear. you use a spacer between the bearing and lafshaft gear to line it up. so loosen all the setscrews, take out the shims and line things up... is the brake hub not in the disc there?

I have given up on this 2 speed ever shifting again until I replace stuff. I just like the one way effect. but running stock gearing on first if I get any flexing my pinion has sent a couple sparks out hitting casting on the pipe hehe

Might be a daft obsevation here but in pic 5 it looks as tho the engine mount needs moving over to the left to allow the layshaft gear to align with the diff gear. Even if this was a single speed set up where the layshaft gear fits as you have it, it would not line up cos it is tight up against the mount :confused::confused: I see why Trebor said it was diff gear that was out :blush:

Is the diff gear nice & tight on its carrier??

Get bloody rid of em, they've been nothin but trouble since you bought em. :2guns::2guns:

You won't get to use them properly where we run. :no::clown:

Might be a daft obsevation here but in pic 5 it looks as tho the engine mount needs moving over to the left to allow the layshaft gear to align with the diff gear. Even if this was a single speed set up where the layshaft gear fits as you have it, it would not line up cos it is tight up against the mount :confused::confused: I see why Trebor said it was diff gear that was out :blush:

Is the diff gear nice & tight on its carrier??

Not a daft observation Andy,you were band on!Seemed to have sorted it now but there is just a tad over hang on the layshaft gear but I'll see how it runs.My thought is a dodgy engine mount.
J.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks