2 speed not shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayyaaf

Hey guys, I modified the 2 speed layshaft for 2wd to make it fit my rtr 4wd, installed and fitted perfectly after shortening the layshaft, however it is not functioning good. I tried to play with the sifting point screw either fully screwed inside or half way, still not shifting, what are the possibilities ?

Thanks and best regards
Mohamed

what do you mean Trebor ? the layshift is long enough for the drive gear to perfectly mesh with the differential. The 2 speed gears are perfectly matched with the pinions, can't see a reason.

I would play with the adjustment, make sure it is tightened to the layshaft. And are you sure it's not shifting? With the FG you won't here it like the BSW one for the hpi baja. If you feather the throttle lightly you will here it shift. But if you just just nail it WOT you won't.

I am pretty sure it is not shifting, because, first gear is too short while second is taller, and when I run it always seems on the high revs and no movement, I tried to loose the shifting point and it engages 2nd gear directly, doesn't allow first gear to engage first.

Dunno really, but which pin you are talking about pipeous ?

btw dscjester, it is supposed to shift like this ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good! Haven't bashed in a while. So I can't remember the exact sound... :( but maybe I have a problem?? :D Better check mine out once the nicer weather gets here! Goodluck

inside the 2 speed, the adjustment screw you are turning has a spring to provide tension to an arm that swings out and engages on a pin inside. that pin wears out. "the fix" is to drill out the spur carrier, the part the rubber dampener for the spur mounts and put a lower shock mount screw in. you red or green loktite the screw in then cut the threads off. I replaced that pin enough times to wear out the arm that swings out.

close gear ratios can also be hard to hear it shift. drill a hole in the spur and spur carrier so you can adjust the screw externally. just drill between the spur teeth

this is when I first got the 2 speed used. it was shifting early and could barely hear it. and yes the layshaft gear is very noisy. http://vimeo.com/4027870

wow Pipeous, very informative, but plz I have hard time understanding some terms, can you plz provide some fotos ? I hope I am not asking for much :)

Regards.

lol that is not my car, it was an example that 2speed shifting is noticable and not silent as some mentioned.

Thanks Pipeous :) you are da man. Is the pin easy to remove though ?

Guys don't hate me for this, the shifting thingy was installed in the reverse direction :D

lol Sorry for the hustle all :)

haha yup, been there too. but bookmark that fix. you'll need it, trust me. I can honestly say I am happy with a single speed now. another idea would be to put 2 pins in instead of one at 180 degrees. it would shift tighter and less hammering. say it wants to shift just as it passes the pin, it has a full revolution of power to hit the pin. I wore out the lever that flips out as well.

Yep, that would be a good idea, HPI Baja BSW 2speed setup is robust. It has 4 rotating pins and 2 metal pieces that stick out to shift ... awesome design really.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks