3 channel radios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superchip

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding 3 channel or even possibly 2 channel pistol type radios. It's more to do with their features mostly, now, I'm looking for a 2 or 3 channel 2.4ghz pistol type radio which features dual rate, adjustable end point and exponential settings. My question to you good people is apart from the FlySky FS-GT3B what else is there that is comparable? The most frustrating thing about shopping on the web is that the spec sheet doesn't always include a full run down on a products features. The only reason I knew the FLYSKY radio had these features was because I stumbled across a review about it and not all radios are forced to have a review written about them and even if they did, the full feature set isn't always mentioned. Many thanks to anyone for any info and have a good day everyone :)

What's your budget? Why only a 3-channel? You can pick up a quality used Futaba 4PL/4PLS for around $120-170 if you look hard enough. It will have every feature you're looking for and a known reliable platform. Plus, you can have a spare channel.

What's your budget? Why only a 3-channel? You can pick up a quality used Futaba 4PL/4PLS for around $120-170 if you look hard enough. It will have every feature you're looking for and a known reliable platform. Plus, you can have a spare channel.

Hi thanks for replying and for the suggestion. The reason why I only need 2 or 3 channels is because my home build is petrol powered so all I need is a steering channel, throttle/brake channel and maybe a remote cut off channel. The Futaba you suggest is an intriguing option but I feel it overkill for my needs. I'll be quite happy with a maximum of 3 channels but if I have to buy a radio with more just to get the features I need then I will, however having reliability is a big want too so I shall keep your suggestion in mind :)

There are as many people loving the FlySky as not liking them.
There are more people liking the Spektrum radios than those not.
There don't appear to be any who don't like Futaba.

I do hope you get on OK with your selection.

Me, I use Spektrum and generally have no issues, so I do understand a limited budget.

Al.

Me, I use Spektrum and generally have no issues, so I do understand a limited budget.

Al.

I mainly use Spektrum as well, and have had great luck with mine.
I also have Futaba that has been flawless too.

I too hope you have good luck, but I do know of several people who have had issues with cheap radios, and with the cost of my models ... No way will I risk a problem with a cheap radio damaging one of them.

Thanks everyone for your views. I received my skyfly radio a few days ago and I'm actually very impressed in the build quality. Yes it takes 8 AA batteries but there's a mod on YouTube to convert to lipo power so I'll be looking into that in the future. There's even a mod for the steering control where you can install bearings in place of the plastic bushes, nice to know I can make it a bit better further down the line. I don't think I would've thought twice about buying a Spektrum dx3 or something from Futaba if I had the funds because I can't argue about the quality of those radios, although if I did I still probably would've still bought a Skyfly as an upgrade for my other model and for curiosity sake

Al.

I mainly use Spektrum as well, and have had great luck with mine.
I also have Futaba that has been flawless too.

I too hope you have good luck, but I do know of several people who have had issues with cheap radios, and with the cost of my models ... No way will I risk a problem with a cheap radio damaging one of them.

Agree wholeheartedly on both accounts. I have used spektrum and futaba and have not had many, if any, issues with either of these brands. For some reason I just like how the spektrum transmitters feel so that is my preference.

In my losi 5ive I am currently using the DSMR DX2E (came with another RTR I have) with the SR410 DSMR 4-channel receiver and it literally is all you need for this platform. The DX2E has the ability to activate aux1 on the SR410 receiver by pressing the bind button. So when I want to kill the engine through the superbee I just press the bind button and it shuts down.

To the OP, your budget and money is yours to control so as long as you get something you are happy with that should always be what matters. Good luck.

For what it's worth, You are not going to find a better radio anywhere near that price point. Receivers are small and don't cost much either,$7.00 each. I own one and the ONLY problem I have had with it is it didn't come with an instruction manual. No biggie. Got in online. Radio is simple to use.

If you are just bashing around or occasional race, or project, there is nothing wrong with this radio.

Be happy with your purchase. It's fine. Spend the saved cash on other parts for your vehicle.

Some interesting points of view, I understand why anyone would invest £100 plus in a good radio system especially after forking out £1000 or more on the model. This is where I differ though, I'm building my own buggy which I started a thread about because I need info on a homemade steering servo that I'm trying to perfect. I didn't want to spend a huge amount on a radio with adjustable end points, dual rate and exponential settings if it didn't cure my problem so I went for the cheap option until I have everything dialled in. Once I have two satisfactory homemade servos and the car seems to be running well then I'll look into a better radio system because the last thing I want is this beast to go out of control through the fault of a cheap radio lol

Some interesting points of view, I understand why anyone would invest £100 plus in a good radio system especially after forking out £1000 or more on the model. This is where I differ though, I'm building my own buggy which I started a thread about because I need info on a homemade steering servo that I'm trying to perfect. I didn't want to spend a huge amount on a radio with adjustable end points, dual rate and exponential settings if it didn't cure my problem so I went for the cheap option until I have everything dialled in. Once I have two satisfactory homemade servos and the car seems to be running well then I'll look into a better radio system because the last thing I want is this beast to go out of control through the fault of a cheap radio lol

That is where the killswitch comes in. Especially the superbee. It seems pricey for what it is but the fact that the engine is shutdown in a number of scenarios is great peace of mind. This one piece would be the one price tag you would have to bite to protect even your homemade rc from getting out of control. Beyond that whatever you choose to purchase IMO is really dependent on you and no one else.

That is where the killswitch comes in. Especially the superbee. It seems pricey for what it is but the fact that the engine is shutdown in a number of scenarios is great peace of mind. This one piece would be the one price tag you would have to bite to protect even your homemade rc from getting out of control. Beyond that whatever you choose to purchase IMO is really dependent on you and no one else.

I totally agree with you, I will in fact purchase a superbee.... If I ever get my car off the work bench and onto the grass lol. Alas, the electronics are slowing up progress, I have just updated a separate thread about the fun I'm having trying to get my wiper motor servo to work lol

I own several flysky radio and haven't encountered any problems yet. They work just aswell as my Spektrum too! And for their price - in my view and experience so far they're probably the best value around on the market. The gt3b is a superb tx, comfy and has many features. I'm also interested in their latest 6ch radio, the TS6. I'm after it mainly for my aircraft but with it being multi-model memory I'm wondering if I can bind it to the flysky 3ch rx in my cars too?? But would probably need setting up for its dedicated channels. Anyone ever done this?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks