3rd run for 5ive-T : power loss to transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjagaiden

Folks

Just had a blast with the Five-T with my son at the wheel and we flipped it on short grass. Shrtly after I noticed the engine was running freely but not transmitting power down drivetrain. Truck is waiting to cool down but at the field there was no problem with dogbones fouling up, diffs all seem okay and brakes are not engaged.

I don't know much about the centrifugal cluthes on these things, but is it most likely something has worked loose here? Kind of a bit surprised given this is only the third run (still on second tank of fuel)

Thanks

N

No experience with the 5ive-T mate.
Sounds like it's time to take a closed look.

Must be something - based on the type of impact.
Has the engine moved - is the clutch bell meshing?

Sherlock Holmes time I'm afraid.
Sure you'll find it and hope it's something simple for you.

Al.

I agree about the clutch. If the engine is running and the power is not going to the wheels. You need to look between the engine and the rear diff. I would not start it up to much and keep trying it. You could cause more damage.

Thanks Guys,

Guess this is where I find out how easy the 5ive-T is to wrench on. I'm hoping something has just come loose in the clutch, and a bit of red loctite will do the job.

Annoying thing is I have back to back meetings this week, so next chance I get to work on it will be next weekend.

BW

N

Lost dog bone pin looks to be the problem!

Folks,

So I finally got to have a check over the buggy, and I think I found the problem. The Front Right driveshaft / CV joint seems to have lost a pin where it fits into the front diff. It's made a bit of a mess of the plastic of the front diff carrier but otherwise it seems okay.

I have ordered replacement part LOSB3216 as I can't see that you can buy the pin separately. Also I can't see how the pin is secured into the dog bone - there does not seem to be an Allen screw or anything.

I am thinking this would explain why I lost power, and also why the speed reading on the temetry was still reading 35mph - because this is picking up rpms from the centre diff housing.

I have ordered annother driveshaft from CV but also the nice guys from customer support at Horizon Hobby UK said they would 'sort me out' when I thought it was a damaged diff. I might ask him if he can get me some of the pins.

Thanks for all your help.

N

Back