4WD FG Baja. Who has one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[AK]Zip

I have really been temped by this thing due to the fact that its 4WD, tons of aluminum parts, and I get to build it from scratch. I also happen to like FG quality in comparison to other companies that I have tried.

I would obviously get nice steering and throttle/break servos to use with this thing, and would probably replace the remaining plastic parts (other than wheels/tires and body cover) with aluminum as well to finish off the whole thing.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any one have any problems with this thing? Any and all input would be great since I can't find anyone with one.

Thanks,
Alex

I use to have a 2wd fg baja and i was very happy with it . That thing was built like a tank it seemed, not to mention it didn't really weigh that much so the stock 26 zen would throw that thing around like it was nothing. Don't know much about the Fg 4wd but I've heard a couple people say they were happy with them. Sorry can't be much more help than that.

Yea I have the 2wd FG Baja now along with a few other large scale RC's, but no 4WD. Not to mention I can't seem to find anyone who actually has a 4WD to get their opinion.

There have only been 4 sold in the US so far. I know two of them still have not been built. THere is a build thread on RCU about one but I am not sure if they ran it yet.

i say just order one lol you'll never know until you own it. have you thought about mcd? ive had two fg so far(baja and sportsline 08) and their good cars. fg make great cars i was think about the fg 4wd monster truck but i seen a mcd first hand and i was very impressed within two weeks of that i bought 2 a rally and a baja 1000. im in love lol very well built cars great handling, and despite the weight of them the fly. i would say also check one of them out on your quest for a 4wd 1/5 scale

There have only been 4 sold in the US so far. I know two of them still have not been built. THere is a build thread on RCU about one but I am not sure if they ran it yet.

Yes he ran it and has a very good write up on it with lots of pics and progress as he built it.

It'm on the first page now under" I finally bought an FG, let the assembly begin"

ive seen them online but looking at the pics on his build thread they look even sweeter only thing is the belt drive:no::no: but it might work great it might be a project for me in the future it looks really good but i still love the mcd's lol

The belt is fully enclosed and they say it's steel belted. Their F1's have had belts on them for years. The Canadian distributor is only 40 minutes from me. :clown:

I saw one of these in pieces when my local hobby shop got their in. I am friends with the owner so he let me open up the box and rummage through it. All I can say is that belt is the size of a timing belt on a car. The chance of it breaking is slim to none in a very long time. All the alloy parts were amazing. I am really getting ready to pull the trigger.

idk like always with me and these 5th scales ill just have to buy it and try it because there are no 5th scale dealers close the closest is pro5thscale hes about 2hr away so i usually never see the cars until i buy them and the tooth fairy aka ups driver drops them off. it looks like a very nice car i might put it on my christmas list lol i don't think im goin to buy another off-road car for a while i want a f1 comp first then maybe the 4wd baja

I have a FG Marder setup for on road and even that doesn't get used very much since there aren't any tracks at all around here to run them so I just setup in a parking lot with cones. I will not be buying another on-road.

Selwa, do you recall what the price was?

I was seriously thinking of one, My FG MB Pro is so good. If FG built it it must be good.

From what I recall it was just under $3K from Advance in Toronto. Buying elsewhere might be cheaper if you can do something with the duty/taxes and shipping.

I have 2 of these on order from DDM for the Milestone series next season for myself and my team driver. I was a little apprehensive at first due to its relatively new emergence onto the scene and having not really been widely beaten on yet, but after reading the write up on RCU, I have to say, I am really looking forward to them now.

Can you provide some more information about hormann? I see they have the HT1 ($2,183.48) I also see a HT2 ($2,227.60) and HT2 Evo ($3,233.11) model which is a bit longer, but still now 4wd. All of them look very much based off of the FG design. How it is any better?

Last edited:
I just read the thread on rcu about the fg baja 4wd and i do have to say that is one sharp looking buggy. I am really considering that being my next addition to my line up.

lauterbacher has a baja too the same belt type of system on their 4 wd buggy....as long as its a cogged belt (wet belts slip) it should be fine;)

LAUTERBACHER L 3 Mega-Cross 2-WD abd 4-WD BAJA
Available:

Art. 12500X VE 1
LAUTERBACHER L 3 Mega-Cross 2-WD BAJA
standard-model with Zenoah ZG 26 ORC,
without body and without wheels, prepared
for installation of BAJA-body and BAJA-wheels.

Art. 12501X VE 1
LAUTERBACHER L 3 Mega-Cross 4-WD BAJA
standard-model with Zenoah ZG 26 ORC,
withour body and without wheels, prepared
for installation of BAJA-body and BAJA-wheels.

Attachments

• thumb_13122007202304.jpg
    thumb_13122007202304.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 51
  • thumb_26102007152911.jpg
    thumb_26102007152911.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
there are a number of reasons why the hormann is better, i have owened fg bajas monster trucks, i now own an mcd racerunner evo3 a hormann ht2 evo and 2 mcd rally cars and i race all of them the hormann is very very strong and when racing against fgs the fgs don't come close the design is just not right, even the leopard has limited capabilities here are a few comments from other forums

1. the way they handle
2. the cars are full alloy and alot stronger than fg cars
3. good service for spares track side
you only have to look at what the races use as most other cars
have been tested on tracks and the hormanns are 1 of the best handling cars out there

FG's have been out a long time, then the Lauts & Harms but the Cleon and Hormann are the newest of the cars in this catagory.
I think people have seen the capabilities of these models and know that they are a great car to drive. Simple and Reliable.
Its a bit like comparing a Nissan Micro to a Porsce in my own oppinion.
Strength, reliability, simplistic, handle great, good looking oh and quite expensive lol.

There are alot of people on this forum who have driven a Marder, Supercross, Harm and they have just changed models as newer, better ones come out.

FG copied a similar design in the late 80's when developing the Marder for release in 91'. It hasn't changed since, it was a bad car then and in comparison to the beautifully engineered Horman, HARM and HPI Baja; Its flippin' terrible.
The worst part of the FG cars is the more you upgrade them the worst they get! Over priced tat!
For comparitive pricing the HPI Baja destroys it on everything, Build quality, handling, performance and hop up/spares availabilty. The Baja has huge after market following, and has achieved cult status in the US.
For Sheer performance at any cost; naturally the Horman, Cleon and HARM are the choice, although the HARM will not have the same degree of support or back up the other 2 benefit from.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks