5ive upgrades...what and why.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaygreig

Okay, since like most of you I hate spending money on crap parts or upgrades that don't live up to their hype, I am starting an open list of 5ive upgrades that are tried and true. I couldn't think of a better time to start this considering the upcoming holidays and most of us being trapped inside for the next few months.
This can be parts or "home" upgrades that you have had actual experience with, and can explain as needed. (ie how was it before and after the upgrade) Tips on installing, customizing, etc. Pictures are also welcome, videos are better.
My hope is to have a thread that will grow and serve the purpose of this forum...education! If you'd like to post anything dogging anyone's product please put it in its own thread. This is for the tried and true quality stuff that we know works and works well.

Thanks in advance to all that contribute.

Jay

The only real upgrade I feel a person needs is the Killerbee kill switch. Protect your $1500+ investment and small woodland mammals. The Killer is well worth the money and it is a quality unit. Past that maybe Outerwears for the engine and air filter. The 5ive is such an awesome truck I don't have any upgrades due to part breakage. Some kind of chassis skid plates are a good idea. A Killer LiPo makes a world of difference in servo speed if your servos are digital and can handle the extra juice. Lastly a gallon of premium and 4 free hours is the best upgrade!

I would have to agree with k5 the killerbee kill switch was my first upgrade before I ever pulled the pull start. I haven't broke anything in the year of bashing that I have put the losi through with the exception of a bent shock shaft. Great truck right out of the box

Modified RC center diff tower due to the larger bearings.
LiPo battery.
Hoonage dual-arm servo saver.
Good tuned pipe--I prefer Bartolone.
Much heavier diff fluids (especially for the center).
Axis RC pull start pegs, but I'm biased. :)
Futaba RX/TX.
Team Chase no flex chassis.
Non-ethanol premium gas.
Fender washers where turnbuckles can pop out of balls.

Hello all, i am a newb in forums but have owned my lost for around 5 years now ,beat the hell out of it . I have just completed a complete bearing overhaul and upgraded many Parts ,New body (by PENTA) paint by me ,losi tuning kit, complete zenoah 290 with bartalone pipe ,vented clutch assembly ,new rims (Silverbacks and thrashers ).Outerware system, Including flywheel cover ,Rebuilt diffs front to back and the truck looks brand new and i have broken in and tuned motor , Looking forward to throwing some dirt behind me come spring !!!!!! And please listen to the comment ,that the killer bee switch should be mandatory on all 1/5 scale ,saved my truck once 11405_576544022480389_8765517114066967959_n.jpg

Hello all, i am a newb in forums but have owned my lost for around 5 years now ,beat the hell out of it . I have just completed a complete bearing overhaul and upgraded many Parts ,New body (by PENTA) paint by me ,losi tuning kit, complete zenoah 290 with bartalone pipe ,vented clutch assembly ,new rims (Silverbacks and thrashers ).Outerware system, Including flywheel cover ,Rebuilt diffs front to back and the truck looks brand new and i have broken in and tuned motor , Looking forward to throwing some dirt behind me come spring !!!!!! And please listen to the comment ,that the killer bee switch should be mandatory on all 1/5 scale ,saved my truck once View attachment 9996[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 10906406_576543969147061_1256048549147147921_n.jpg
    10906406_576543969147061_1256048549147147921_n.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 11405_576544022480389_8765517114066967959_n.jpg
    11405_576544022480389_8765517114066967959_n.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 19
Good looking 5ive Doogal,
I am adding to the list of almost must haves... shock springs. I have had the stock springs (even under full pre-load) let the chassis bottom out on some bigger jumps. I also have a personal preference for driving style to run heavier fluid in the rear shocks. Helps also to have the heavier sway bars to alleviate some body roll and keep some weight to the front in the corners. This is supposed to work great especially with a high torque engine to bring you out of the corners. Though such a "stiff" setup will also push you out a bit in tighter corners, but you can remedy this to a degree by pouring on the throttle lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks