96 octane or not.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over in New York City where a couple of us Drag Race, we use anything from 110 octane to VP C16 or even VP Q16 and have been getting very good results from our engines. We run on a 330ft drag strip and the cars run (4.3-4.5 et) at (70-76) mph so the gas does help with power.

Petro Can is 92 octane for premium, Chevron is 94. I use either. Mohawk uses ethanol so I steer clear. Cheap stuff goes in my real car, all my tools and toys get premium. For how little fuel we burn in these things, I don't even notice the difference in cost. I just pump 2.5L so I can put 100ml of oil in...

due to the HIGH rpms our motors run, i wouldnt use anything but a high quality 2 stroke oil

I use Maxima Castor 927, thouh currently i am running the Maxima RaceM blend. shop was out of the castor 927 on my last visit.

but stick with a good NON Mairine oil.
AmsOil Saber Professional 100:1 (mix at 40:1 to 25:1), Klotz SuperTechnoPlate, Blue marble, Royal Purple... all very good oils and designed for High rpm motors like we use.

keep in mind a garden tool like a weed whip maybe make 9000 rpms, our motors double that daily. so good oil is really a must imo.

don`t change the octaine. :no: What I did is put a set of boost bottles on. That gave me total performance with boost bottles it keeps the reverb efect out of your fuel mixture (snappy Responce ) far as oil I use a a Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil form Klotz

Last edited:
I was playing with the kill switch last week and found that if I cut it when at high RPM, but keep the throttle open the engine will 4-stroke auto-ignite for a bit (rough as hell though) and then bump-start itself if I release the kill switch.

this may be because I am using standard Gas, and accidentally mixed too much oil (I reckon I ended up with 20:1 or stronger). This would push the octane down and make it more likely to auto-ignite.

When the weather improves I'll try and get the AE kit on the car and de-tune the engine to try and force some knocking. Then I'll re-tune and see if I can get the same at high RPM. Though it may behave a bit different now I have a tuned pipe on it.

I race large scale off-road in the uk and most of us use 98 octane
and the following oils

Castrol A747
Castrol XR77
Putoline mx5

The top 2 are used in the tuned engines and the last one in standard engines

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks