A few newbie questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddrummer16

Hi guys just got a few questions to ask about all this electronic stuff.

First of all, when i was driving my FS buggy around the other day i had to stop and put the tire back on and my throttle and steering started twitching like crazy and then went out of control, I had no control of them so i had to turn it off, what might be causing this to happen??

And whilist i was driving it home i was walking next to it just to make sure it didnt take off, which it did but i managed to get my foot infront of it to stop that from happening, and i pushed the kill switch on the motor.

Has this got to do with radio interference at all?

Now i have no idea with all this electronic stuff so bear with me, would a fail safe solve any of the problems i just described?? And what excatly does a fail safe do??

And with my control it seems that the top of the aerial has broken off (i didnt do it, it came like that) is there any problems with that?

Now im starting to ramble on, if i have any more questions i will be back:D

The servos twitching is due to interference in the communication between handset and receiver and is usually associated with the 27mhz and 40 mhz am & fm sets. The newer 2.4ghz sets are more stable and fairly bullet proof in terms of interference. I would (as would most on here!) recommend a remote kill switch such as the Killer Bee so you can kill the engine from the handset if it does get out of control. If you go for the Killer Bee make sure it is compatible with your handset - if there isnt a version to suit your set maybe think about upgrading to a 2.4 set. There are loads of good budget sets on the market that work perfectly well.

Just reading back through your post, a failsafe is designed to put the throttle servo to neutral or brake (depending on what you set it to) in the event of signal loss or low receiver battery power. A fail safe will NOT kill your engine in the event of any of these. A remote kill switch such as the killer bee allows you to kill the engine from the handset in the event of any problems or will automatically kill it on loss of signal, loss of power to receiver etc etc. I had a runaway with only a fail safe fitted where the screw had come out of the throttle servo horn and jammed the throttle wide open rendering the failsafe useless. I went out & bought a Killer Bee straight away! Most on here have learned the hard way so save yourself $100's & get a 2.4ghz set and Killer Bee :D

Are the FS-GT3B 2.4 3CH controllers any good?
And i see they come as a pack, (control and receiver) is the receiver just a plug n play type thing? Or does it have to be wired in?

And last thing for the moment, what sort of range can i expect from my radio now? (2CH am 27MHz)

I agree every large scale 25 to 40 needs a kill switch as a run away with something that heavy is a BIG liability not counting the damage to your RC vehicle! I personally will not run a AM or standard FM only 2.4 ghz.

The FS sets are supposed to be decent. What do you mean about wiring the receiver in? It needs a power source from the battery which will plug in the same as the servos so should just be a direct replacement for you AM receiver (prob half the size tho!).

As for range on your 27mhz AM set - you have already experienced it trying to run away so I wouldnt run again until you get the 2.4ghz set fitted. If you do chance it you could be looking at $100's to repair or injury to a 3rd party.

HAHA i told u i was a total noob about this electronic stuff lol. So its just a plug in then?

As for the range, both times it took off i was standing right next to it so it has to be some radio interference.

I'll try and order a new radio some time this week then :)

HAHA i told u i was a total noob about this electronic stuff lol. So its just a plug in then?

As for the range, both times it took off i was standing right next to it so it has to be some radio interference.

I'll try and order a new radio some time this week then :)

Yes just plug it in!

Hi

Totally agree with all above. I run plenty of electric cars on 27mhz and 40mhz in the past of various scales and a few nitro,s at times. When you compare size and weight of the 1/5 1/6 scale cars to most other types there is a considerable difference. Killswitch and 2.4g seemed an absolute must to me and have only ever run 1/5 1/6 on this type of set up. 27mhz and 40mhz always seemed to be glitchy to me, nothing ever seemed settled especially if operating close to built up areas. Run a battleswitch on mine with spektrum radio set and it has proved to be a great set up with some good quality digital high torque servos. Only safe way to go in my opinion.

AM radios are highly susepticale to interferance, best thing you can do is upgrade to 2.4ghz radio. I know this may be a more expensive answer than you are looking for, but it will solve 99% of your problems. Just for fun, turn your radio system on, reveiver AND radio, then touch a screw driver to the throttle linkage, I bet it goes crazy. 2.4ghz wont do this and you also get the bonus of no channel conflicts.

Pretty much all 2.4 radios operate on the same principle, 79 available channels and 1 hold channel, the radio scans for a free channel when you turn it on and locks it in, no other 2.4 radio can get on that channel, period!

Are the FS-GT3B 2.4 3CH controllers any good?
And i see they come as a pack, (control and receiver) is the receiver just a plug n play type thing? Or does it have to be wired in?

And last thing for the moment, what sort of range can i expect from my radio now? (2CH am 27MHz)
i have a gt3b lying around, they are great for the price,have great range,but lags, i never had any twitching with that radiogear, tbh the only reason i stop using it was because i got a futraba 4pk.

Well I got a new radio the other day (the FS GT3B) and took it back to where i had the interfernce problems and Not once did it play up.

Now all i need is the kill switch

Thanks for all your help guys :D

My 2 cents worth...

Just last week I was racing my Mugen and it did a runaway twice on me. It also would make HARD right hand turns without me giving it my ok so WAP it went into the railing at full throttle.

I am running a 2.4 spektrum setup and noticed that the very tip of the antenna had been caught in the gears causing the end of the antenna to be damaged.

A good friend told me that the very tip of these 2.4's is the most important part of the antenna. I just happened to have a spare antenna, I replaced the damaged one, and the problems went away...

One easy way to test this is to turn on your radio and vehicle (making sure your batteries are charged of course) then leave the radio sitting there as you take the vehicle away from the transmitter/radio. If you notice the vehicle acting odd, like twitching servos then there is an issue with the electronics...

I don't know what your running but I do hope this helps...:)

Hi guys just got a few questions to ask about all this electronic stuff.

First of all, when i was driving my FS buggy around the other day i had to stop and put the tire back on and my throttle and steering started twitching like crazy and then went out of control, I had no control of them so i had to turn it off, what might be causing this to happen??

And whilist i was driving it home i was walking next to it just to make sure it didnt take off, which it did but i managed to get my foot infront of it to stop that from happening, and i pushed the kill switch on the motor.

Has this got to do with radio interference at all?

Now i have no idea with all this electronic stuff so bear with me, would a fail safe solve any of the problems i just described?? And what excatly does a fail safe do??

And with my control it seems that the top of the aerial has broken off (i didnt do it, it came like that) is there any problems with that?

Now im starting to ramble on, if i have any more questions i will be back:D

fs stering servo issue

well i also have a fs buggy and i bought used witht he glitchy issue and first off changed the radio gear to my spektrum and still had issues . threw the stering servo in the trash (took the top piece off to jimmy a bracket to accommodat a hitech and and problem fixed? had same issue a few months ago when i JR servo 590 went faulty on me. so still keep an eye on it. my fs still took off after i installed my 2.4 ghz spektrum but it was glitchy and took off ans slowed down and took off again and so on lol . turned off my remote and it went into fail safe , thats when the servo went into the garbage:D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks