Adjusting turtle racing clutch or what did I destroy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bondslayer

Turtle racing clutch is adjustable isn't it, slipper clutch? Story is I had the mud tires on and was driving through some wet/mud/creek distracting everyone from their sports game and loose all power right in middle of creek. Motor just revs freely. 5 min prior it was doing donuts and hauling ass no problem. No crazy sounds. I know how to work on a Revo, not this truck. What do I look for/ adjust or is something broken. I'm a basher not a tech, and the only shop I trust is 40 miles each way!!!
Located in McKinney tx.

Not sure what you are asking about the turtle stuff. Do you have the TR clutch system? Which one? There are 3 different ones. The clutch itself is not made by TR. Do you have a stock clutch? CY or ZEN? If it's one of those two they are not adjustable except you can change the tension springs in them.

You could have so many different problems. Take your clutch bell off and look at the clutch shoes to see if you have anything left on them.

Check the pinion bolt. If you are running a stock clutch system it's the first thing I would check but since you are mentioning TR I am not sure what you have.

Is your Spur gear in good shape, it's the big gear that spins from the pinion gear that is attached to your clutch.

How do the dog bones and cups look that provide power to the tires?

After that it could be in your diff.

They are very easy to work on once you tear it apart. So don't be afraid to get in there and see whats going on.

Any questions just hollar. Pics are great.

The other parts I have and I know there is clutch shoes or something with a steel cable attatched are in a box in my roommates room, he's asleep though. No grinding if I roll the truck so I don't think it's the diff. When I blew rear end and trans in my Revo you could hear it clunk as it rolled

ya as soon as you were pushing it and I could see the stock clutch system I knew right away lol.

It's a well known issue with the baja's. I recommend replacing it with a new clutch system. You will not be disappointed. It's pretty much a must do and a really good upgrade. Turtle racing or Vertigo. Do some research as you will find pretty much everyone with a baja does this as one of the first upgrades/replacements.

It was even listed on ebay as having a turtle racing clutch and a trevor simpson motor etc.Im uploading a video now, maybe you can help me determine if my truck is faster than stock with the exception of the pipe etc. Of course I got a new phone (damn apple) and lost the guys email. going to check paypal now.

I would have to see some close up pics of the whole rig. But the first up close vid you posted has no turtle products in sight. The rear brace, tranny and clutch system are all stock. In your second vid the power seems pretty good to where it might not be stock and I think I saw a 36 stamped on the side of the head in your first vid which means it's not a stock topend. But again I would need some better pictures of the motor.

Post some pics and ask any questions about it if you feel like it.

Last edited:
Looks like a TS head on it.. Not 100% sure as the
vid was hard to watch on my phone but it looks like
it.

Nope cant see any TR goodies on your rig just stock
by the looks of it.

Andy

It has trevor simpson on the head at least. How can I find out? The guy I bought it from has sold a lot of R/C trucks/cars on ebay. I paid $900 shipped and have a lot of extra parts, clutches and tires etc, 2 bodies. Its been over 90 days so I can't view the add on ebay to pull full description. Argh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks