Air filter cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moev

HI guys! Do you clean the air filter only from dust or also from the oil after each run? What do you use for it?

Cheers

It's best to do a complete cleaning and re oul the inner element.
Some times dish soap and water can get it clean, but straight gas will rinse it sparkling clean, left them dry do the re oil and your good to go.
If dish soap works do that before gas, the gas will end up fatiguing the foam sooner, but they still last years usually
Not every run, check the manual recommendation, usually 10 tanks, but high dust trails can reduce that

Dawn dish soap and hot water. ( no I don't work for them but it works ! )

Squirt some on there , give it a gentle massage and rinse in HOT water.
If it needs it do it again.

Dry and re-oil.

I use belray foam filter oil and their cleaner. I clean as needed. I have a spare cleaned and oiled filter on hand to swap out. Dish soap does not remove the belray oil. You shouldn't use gasoline on foam filters as it can degrade the glue that some filters have that attaches the foam together or the foam to the mounting flange.

IMG_20240206_181355.jpgIMG_20240206_181414.jpg
I highly recommend these stuff, like the other guy's said, don't use petrol, it does ruin the foam eventually, use the cleaner, rinse twice if filter is really dirty, squeeze out, wash with warm water a detergent, let dry, then use foam filter oil on the inner one only, don't have to wait for this stuff to dry, as soon as you oil it, it's good to go, I have two spare filters, just inspected your filter after run a tank of fuel, if it looks dirty, change filter, mine get really dirty when I running in dusty conditions, just make sure you oil the inner foam element well, no dry spots, pour a little oil on inner filter give it a gentle squeeze, making sure there's no dry spots, any motor cycle shop will have foam filter cleaner and oil

Last edited:
Yes exactly, the outer just keeps the big stuff off the oily parts to give a chance for some things to not stick
You should was everything but just oil the blue. It will be white once all oil is out but usually air filter oil is blue giving it the color
Another trick is to put the foam filter in a clear plastic bag then drop on some oil and squeeze the oil to all parts of the foam you'll see the white spots and keep your hands cleaner

Last edited:
x2 on the plastic bag. My oil is a spray, so I just drop the filter in a bag and give it a spray then kind of rub it until it has even color. Otherwise, it is a complete mess and not the easiest to get it off your hands. I usually throw on a pair of rubber gloves when I pull it out of the bag and install it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks