ally servo saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8davep

Hi All, just fitted a s/h ally servo saver to my Stadium jeep, I used three 'o' rings on the servo saver, thought i would give it a quick test up the street... bad move, clobbered a kerb at a reasonable rate a stripped the gears in the servo (futaba S3306).
Not amused, spent about 2 hours making plates so I could fit a spare hitec 755mg and its a slow as hell with no torque! so I ordered a new s3306Mg and some gears to fix my s3306.

I have hit a kerb before with the old plastic saver and been ok, guess I was unlucky, my question is how many 'o' rings should be fitted to the ally saver?

thanks

that all depends on how thick you have the "O" rings :rolleyes:

K....

+1 on that, plus how good the servo is.
I have 4 thick - 4mm O-rings on my FG MT - but I'm using twin Rhinos and MCD chevron tyres.

Smaller tyres, and certainly with a weaker servo, you're better not having many, to save the servo. 'Tune it in' to find your compromise.

Al.

The servo is an S3306 rated at 25Kg I was running three of the standard FG 'o' rings that come with the alloy saver...

I guess real answer is don't hit the kerb! the steering was really positive prior to the crash.

Here's another thing.
I've 'got the t-shirt' on the alloy servo saver, as many of us have here.

How's the servo saver spring?
After a few 'thumps' it deforms - it can be straightened out, but you need to remove and dismantle it. That can also give you sloppy steering.
Al.

The Alloy servo saver with the O rings were brilliant on my old leopard. When I was running 2 of the old kingcobra/hitec servos or the tonegowa I still run. I never had any issues or breakages and that was with a spur gear cush drive rubber on it instead of the O rings.

There is a lot to be said for getting decent servos that will not only do the job asked of them, but they will also take the abuse when things go pete tong.

Had a look at the servo saver spring yesterday and it looks fine, no play in the unit at all.. not running with 2 FG 'o' rings

The hitec servo is rubbish though, steering is vague and slow, hard to correct the slides, I could drift it on dusty tarmac with the old servo, so now just waiting for the new one I ordered....

Took the truck out for a run yesterday and its running great, I am using my CY 23 bitza engine its got a cheap rovan ebay top end for 29cc, I matched the base gasket (copper) to the transfer ports / shimming correctly and I can't believe how much power it has!!

Not sure how long it will last as the plating did not look good quality, but hey its really cheap mod to do, so I thought it was worth try, so its 3 tanks in at the moment. I am running it on Shell 98 ron V power with fully synth oil at 33-1 mix

'Most' people default to:
1. Multiplex Digi-4 Rhino (6V).
2. Hitec 5755.
3. Tonegawa - monster torque (and size!!). PS-050 (http://www.tokyo-hobbies.com/tonegawa.html)

Multiplex have replaced the 'old 6V Rhino' with a newer LiPo compatible Rhino - similar torque, but at 7.4V, not 6V.

I'm running twin Rhinos on my FG MT and a single Rhino on my 1/5.
So far, they've taken a few knocks but are running fine.
Had to replace the gear set in one, after 'one knock too many' in the MT!!

Al.

The Rhinos are great and after some recent testing by a mate of mine - it would appear that the newer ones are better for the extra money.

99% of cheaper/not fit for task servos just lead to problems.

I have ordered a Futaba S3306 MG 25kg at .14sec transit time, the servo I took out was the plastic geared version of this one and was working very well until I stripped the gears! So I though I would try the MG version as they are not that expensive.

I Have a Hitec 805MG in my FG F1 car and that seem good too...

I will let you know how it goes.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks