Alternative shock oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98navi0314

Just as the title says... Has anyone used something different and had success with it? I know some people have used motorcycle fork oil in their Hpi Baja's and are happy but would it work for on road as well?

Why I ask is LHS here don't carry shock oil for 1/5 scale other than HPI Baja oil, but they ar currently out of stock.

silicone oil is used mainly because it doesn't change viscosity with temperature changes (as bad as other types of oils). the volumes we use in the shocks is quite small so we need something constant or the suspension feel will change as the day goes, track temp, ambient temps etc all affect this.

my bud Rich uses motorcycle fork oil in his Baja but I have never tried it or even looked at the bottle to see what is in it. I just order oil packages. Losi has a sweet package with a large range of oils. I think I got 8 or 10 bottles in one package and works out much cheaper per bottle than buying individuals

Thanks for the reply. I'll try losi silicone

BTW... Planning to visit my sister early in the New Year, she lives in East Vancouver. Are there any hobby shops in the area that support the large scale market?

Not much here for large scale support other than hpi. We have a good local supply of tires (old owner of Burnaby Modelsports runs with us). It died off many years ago. We have just started to revive big scale around here. Eventually someone will jump on board. Martin from GH was supposed to come run with us this year... I'll have to go bug him at the store I guess.. that said if you need Golden Horizon stuff they are just in Richmond, one bridge away from where you will be. Best shop around these parts to deal with.. I need to take some stuff to him to start making us goodies.

Ok.... Went to the LHS and grabbed Losi shock oil, 60wt for th front and 30wt for the rear.
Also got Ofna diff oil 6000wt and 3000wt.
Both are silicone base.

Which should I try first?
Which is closer to FG specs??

I run about 60wt all around with 4 shocks, fairly stiff springs. dif fluid is tough to keep in stock dif cases. check out the tips section about sealing the dif. btb has a few really good ones. will work the same for dif fluid.

dif fluid is thick for shocks (though 5-6k in a 1/5 motorcycle is good)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks