Anodizing Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
Last edited:
Awesome, Thanks BtB, glad you are back from your long summer hiatus. Deanodizing my Baja is going to be my post new baby fun during my three weeks of paternity leave (wife almost overdue a week now, the big day is Monday night)! I'll also be installing my new Bad Horsie shock covers I received today and hope to get a new clear body for it to finally "make it my own".

I figured also that I better start now since the weather is only going down hill for us here now. Got some funds saved up and will be making an order soon for upgrading my diff, body, top end (29cc)exc. So, figured it had to come back apart again anyway I guess I'll get rid of the purple too. Gotta keep up with the new SS that's coming out.:cool2:
Wishing the best on Monday! Any idea on gender? Guess we will be seeing more post in the morning from you, I mean 1:00am in the morning.:clown:

Yep, another Boy! Can't get any better! Males in the house 4, Females 1. (me, two boys, and a male dog :))

Are you ordering the Turtle Racing diff housing? I think I'll get that one as well. I'm getting sick of that purple and can't wait to de-anodize! I figure while I have it torn down, I better get some new stuff to put on it!

Let me know how it goes installing the top-end kit. I may get one of those sometime. I currently have the X-Can on mine and went up to an 18 tooth pinion on it and saw a few mph increase in top end (I swear).

I also want the Phat Daddy shock shafts, but I'll upgrade a bit at a time.

The Bad Horsie shock covers arrived, I'll be trying those out sooner or later too.

Thanks BTB, thats some great info. I was debating on stripping my Baja. Now that I saw this I will :).

:clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATS csp, thats great news. I had a baby girl 5 months ago(4 girls to one guy in my house, that includes my puppy lol)

Let us now how everything goes.

I used LYE...the anodizing comes right off...no scrubbing just rinse and wipe off...I used a teaspoon of lye mixed with about 5oz of water...it was ABSOLUTELY PAINLESS!!!

Photo_102407_002.gif

Took the purple right off my shocks.

Photo_102407_001.gif

Last edited:
Are you ordering the Turtle Racing diff housing? I think I'll get that one as well. I'm getting sick of that purple and can't wait to de-anodize! I figure while I have it torn down, I better get some new stuff to put on it!
Yes, With the top end add I think I better plus I already took out the diff case so upgrade now is a must.

Let me know how it goes installing the top-end kit. I may get one of those sometime. I currently have the X-Can on mine and went up to an 18 tooth pinion on it and saw a few mph increase in top end (I swear).
I installed the 27cc in my firehammer a year ago and it was painless. I think with the Baja I might change out the crank to a stuffed crank as well, but still pondering. I already changed out to the DDM pipe and that was a big difference.

Thanks BTB, thats some great info. I was debating on stripping my Baja. Now that I saw this I will .
It seems the nuts and tire hardware along with the shock tops are the easiest in the removal and the easiest to shine up. I'm finding that HPI must of sandblasted or etched the frame and most of the sheet parts, I needed to sand with 2 sizes of papers then a wet sand to get it to shine. Still was worth it from what I can see so far!:) Make sure you buy a good polish/protector - Mothers is what I'm using and its great for the final polishing.

I used LYE...the anodizing comes right off...no scrubbing just rinse and wipe off...I used a teaspoon of lye mixed with about 5oz of water...it was ABSOLUTELY PAINLESS!!!
I looked for that - The pure stuff!:cool2: I just got too lazy to drive or call around and went down the road to Target. You are right LYE is the remover in all the items. Will take a total of 2 cans for the whole buggy.

more of a time consumer than headache. as long as you have some mechanical inclination so you can remember where the parts go back to its not bad at all.

i will admit, it was a bit intimidating the first time i fully stripped mine down, but in the end it was pretty easy.

i just put the parts in a respctive area on my work table in relation to where it installed on the baja.

Mine is in a big pile and I do have the manual for help. Before all this RTR stuff I had to go from step 1 to 2 to etc. until i got to use my new toy's so, its sort of a challenge. Also, I find it easier to figure out part replacement and how-to's for future reference.

Finished pulling all the purple off in about 90 minutes. Not bad, the whole damn Baja reminds me of an old Kyosho Ultima.....I guess that's the look you get when the designer is behind the design of the Ultima! :lol:

ultima_promo1.jpg

All went real well. Had some issues with my motor upgrade but finally all together. I removed the anodizing, installed the TR diff saver, Metal servo gears, HD dshafts, TFE pro bearings, break bearing upgrade, switched the clutch shoes around, New rotor (Broke fins again), 27.2 zen w/ stroker, Outer Wears, Fuel line. I'm good to go now if the snow would melt and spring arrive.
I would recommend anodizing removal to anyone it is a great way to get to know your vehicle inside and out and also find those hidden broken items.

Last edited:
Very nice! I don't see one spot of purple! You did a nice job shining up those parts.

:)

We had about 60 degrees today in KC. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about 33 degrees and snow/rain mix. I've already had enough of this crappy weather.

Not too sure? I don't want to break it in when it's too cold and really don't want to cover it in ice and snow yet.:blush: Hopefully it gets 70 and sunny real soon (hahahah).:no:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks