Another 4wd Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67 CAMARO

Hi All,

Thought id post some pictures up of my FG 4wd project. I wasnt sure which section to put this in as im not sure what body im going to put on it yet. Im thinking about the Pajero, what do you guys think??

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Hi Dwarfy,

Im not really sure what you would call it, maybe a bitsa!!! Bits of this, bits of that!!
I got a job lot of spares from a guy off ebay, thats where the engine came from. I think its a CY 29cc with a chrome dress up kit, not even had it running yet!!

The rest came from ebay as a 4wd set up to convert a 2wd, but on further inspection after i got it, it needed a new chassis as the one that came with it was bent and cracked. The front diff housings were fooked, all the plastic locating points were broken off and the rear diff (which was alloy!) was completly worn out, the needle bearings, bronze bushings, bearing collars and all the teeth on the gears were all knackered.

I managed to get a second hand replacement chassis from ebay, the front diff housings came from ebay germany and a used alloy diff housing from ebay too.

The wife and i built this lot up on saturday...YES, i did say the wife!!!! She actually built the rear diff on her own (with a little supervision!).

Still have quite a few parts needed to finish, so if anyone has any of the following, send me a PM.

Layshaft brake disc no.06044/01
Alloy servo tray
Steering servo
Hydro brake servo
Set of shocks
Body shell
Also need a set of steel gears and some advice of what ratio to go for!!

Chris

Looks good to me. If you're running the pajero body (I think it's a bit tall and prone to roll over) then you'll need buggy wheels and gears 20/44-14/48.

I'd put 2 or 3mm of washer between the chassis and the forward ball joint (under the cone). I'd change the alloy cones for steel ones as they wear for fun - it's not as though you need the weight saving like you would if you were chasing the first place touring car at the BRCA nationals.

A set of CVJ's on the back wouldn't go a miss. If you're bashing then wheels are an open area but if you were considering racing then I'd buy a few sets of soft tyres from evilbay just make sure they're the correct off set - if this is the case I'd put a baja or marder shell on

sorry about this but I'm on a roll.

Touring car axles on the front with 17mm steel blocks and 14mm blocks on the rear.
2 washers under the front top ball joint and 2 between the steering arm and the ball joint.
I'd use the Leopard race/marder race shocks with 3k FG oil in the front and
2k oil in the rear with the pistons drilled out to 1.5mm

I'm going to bugger off now - I'm supposed to be working.

one more thing, don't have outboard rear brakes on an off road car, they're poop and troublsome, go for hydro fronts and a standard/hydro layshaft brake.

Thanks for the top tips Mike,

More things to add to the shopping list!!

Im a basher, not a racer! So steel ball joints it is then.
I have a set of stadium truck wheels i was hoping to use, just not sure what shells will work.

CVJ's are on the shopping list, just waiting for a set to come up for a sensible price on ebay.

Im going to run a mechanical layshaft brake on the rear and hydros up front. I just put the rear disc's on because they were there in hte spares box!!

Chris

Thanks for the top tips Mike,

More things to add to the shopping list!!

Im a basher, not a racer! So steel ball joints it is then.
I have a set of stadium truck wheels i was hoping to use, just not sure what shells will work.

CVJ's are on the shopping list, just waiting for a set to come up for a sensible price on ebay.

Im going to run a mechanical layshaft brake on the rear and hydros up front. I just put the rear disc's on because they were there in hte spares box!!

Chris

Steel ball joints are perfect, I was on about the cones either side on the ball joint bolt - steel ones are available and very worth while.

wow im really starting to get drawn into these 4wd conversions im thinking the bug would suit this setup but im 2wd mad and love the callenge,,hopefully when dwarfy pull his finger out and gets his arse in gear and comes down for a afternoons bashing ill get the taste plus im running out of things to put on the bug,or might have to find a cheapy on the bay in the near future

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I've had an awfull lot going on recently. I've had to wind up my business due to the current financial climate. Then to top it off, my wife tells me she is leaving me as she has fallen in love with another bloke!! So life is crap..... But on the plus side I still have both the FG's!!!!
Nearly finished the 4WD and the 2WD is running a treat!
yga2y2a5.jpg
a7ete9y6.jpgsyjuhaqu.jpgehe7yse4.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352230776.062540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352230776.062540.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352230798.671031.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352230798.671031.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 3
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks