Another Engine Kill Switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetsparks

Having read the excellent article by Bigger the Better (cant find it for now) on how to make your own Kill Switch, thought I'd have a go. So just for the interest I've documented my little effort with some photos (I know you like photos) for you :)

Pics are all thumbs so click for large view.

To start with I had an old spare Futaba S3010 servo that I stripped down:
th_Servo-Bits2-2.jpg

All the gear bits were discarded just leaving the circuit board and the case.

Next I removed the motor and sourced a small N/C 6v Reed Relay for the switching. Note I left the track of the feed back pot in place, more of that in a while:
th_Reed-Relay-2.jpg

Next was to wire up the relay ready for fitting to the board:
th_Servo-Wired-1.jpg

With the relay now ready I soldered the wires to the circuit board along with the leads for the LED indicator. Then I hooked it all up to a Rx/Tx and battery, nothing. Forgot about the pot track so I wired a small bridge between one end of the track and the centre contact, this would make the board drive to the end limit one way, it doesn't matter which.
Some sort of life but the relay would not open the contact properly, then the penny dropped, the output from the board is not full on +v but PWM that is the output is pulsed to drive the motor. Dug out me scope to prove this:
th_Scope.jpg

Problem sorted, soldered a 100uf capacitor across the output and it worked perfectly.In the pic you can also see the small wire bridge on the feed back pot:
th_Cap-Fitted-2.jpg

Then it was just a matter of fitting it all together, removing the gear and pot stubs from the top of the main case creates enough room in the top housing to fit the relay and wiring easily:
th_All-Fitted-2.jpg

Then just fir it in the car, solder on the LED, wire to the cut out switch and test:
th_Tested.jpg

So far seems to work OK. I'm hopefully out on a bash tomorrow so Ill let you know how it works out ;)

i did this last year after my pico switch failed on me. i wont even fire my car without a kill switch and we had a track day planned and wouldnt have had one in time. it worked fine, no issues. i keep it in my box now as a backup.

Killer Bee for me.
If it stuffs up, blame them!!
I did.
They wanted to know immediately what happened.
They found the idea that solved it - new spark plug!!

Al.

Wow to complicated for me..... give me a killer bee anyday

A+ for effort tho ;)

No more then what a Killer Bee cost not worth taking a chance in my opinion. To me it is VERY cheap insurance. Been running the Killer Bee for 3 years and so far not one problem. I did change it once to get a up graded style. My original one was working fine when I took it out but did not have the light to show if it was on or off so I up graded. Kent at Killer RC offers great customer service as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks