Anyone else running "upgraded" transmission gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitchfast

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_230108.jpg
    IMG_20210123_230108.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210123_230133.jpg
    IMG_20210123_230133.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210123_230918.jpg
    IMG_20210123_230918.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
Got to admit I'm impressed with how much abuse the stock gears withstood, by changing from UberRC super spikes to Genesis super spikes I managed to wreck them.
Somewhat relevant, anyone else using UberRC's ball drive system? Guys at RCMax said they managed to break them but I'm barely seeing any wear on them. I also drive like a complete dumbass.

Got to admit I'm impressed with how much abuse the stock gears withstood, by changing from UberRC super spikes to Genesis super spikes I managed to wreck them.
Somewhat relevant, anyone else using UberRC's ball drive system? Guys at RCMax said they managed to break them but I'm barely seeing any wear on them. I also drive like a complete dumbass.
Uber ball drives are pretty hit or miss, I've seen them get destroyed with a stock g320, and last with smaller bigbores. Personally I'd never buy them as their are much better options out their.

Factory HPI gears can hold a good amount of power, the Blackbone gears though are definitely stronger and don't believe I've seen a set fail yet. Personally I'd run the rcmax locker, but you do lose some turning radius.

Uber ball drives are pretty hit or miss, I've seen them get destroyed with a stock g320, and last with smaller bigbores. Personally I'd never buy them as their are much better options out their.

Factory HPI gears can hold a good amount of power, the Blackbone gears though are definitely stronger and don't believe I've seen a set fail yet. Personally I'd run the rcmax locker, but you do lose some turning radius.
Only reason I wouldn't use their locker is specifically because it won't work with my ball drive setup, a shame really.
I have no faith in IRC after what I've heard about their shocks.
Oh well, ordered blackbone replacements and I'll be stuck with a diff unfortunately, the more cars I get the more I realize I hate diffs, it only helps me blow tyres.
Ah and I'm not worried about losing turning radius, that's what a locker is for ;) Spool it up and slide the ass end round.

Only reason I wouldn't use their locker is specifically because it won't work with my ball drive setup, a shame really.
I have no faith in IRC after what I've heard about their shocks.
Oh well, ordered blackbone replacements and I'll be stuck with a diff unfortunately, the more cars I get the more I realize I hate diffs, it only helps me blow tyres.
Ah and I'm not worried about losing turning radius, that's what a locker is for ;) Spool it up and slide the ass end round.
I run lockers as I hate building and maintaining diffs ?. I'd run the uber drive since you already have it until it decides to strip out, Then upgrade.

I haven't had to many issues with IRC, a few shock issues but their quality really is great. For the power I usually run, I try not to get to caught up in warranty unless it's a blatant manufacturer issue or something.

I run lockers as I hate building and maintaining diffs ?. I'd run the uber drive since you already have it until it decides to strip out, Then upgrade.

I haven't had to many issues with IRC, a few shock issues but their quality really is great. For the power I usually run, I try not to get to caught up in warranty unless it's a blatant manufacturer issue or something.
To be honest I always run stupid setups so I never usually have to maintain diffs, can't maintain something if it's broken :D
Fingers crossed I haven't had to worry about warranty on anything yet, the Baja itself was second hand and the dumbass who sold it to me was running the gearbox while it was missing a bearing..

i run ddm HD gears in two of my hpi cars as well, stock gears in the other,
uber ball drives will wear and break, but looks like you're using the strengthener rings on yours so breakage shouldnt happen,
they will just wear the ball slots inside the cups then fail in the end,
not sure what you heard about i-rc shocks, but there the best shock upgrade for the baja out there,
i have four sets of em, three on built up cars and one set thats about worn out,
the worn out set i ran for two years running an obr 57 twin engine, and it got hammered every bash,
had two minor issues with the other sets and those issues took all of 5 mins to rectify,
only other shock options for the baja are stock hpi, stock style km or rovan, and the rovan big bores,
rovan big bores work well and are smooth by all accounts, but the alloy ball ends wear quick,

uber ball drives will wear and break, but looks like you're using the strengthener rings on yours so breakage shouldnt happen,
not sure what you heard about i-rc shocks, but there the best shock upgrade for the baja out there,
i have four sets of em, three on built up cars and one set thats about worn out,
the worn out set i ran for two years running an obr 57 twin engine, and it got hammered every bash,
had two minor issues with the other sets and those issues took all of 5 mins to rectify,
only other shock options for the baja are stock hpi, stock style km or rovan, and the rovan big bores,
rovan big bores work well and are smooth by all accounts, but the alloy ball ends wear quick,
Can just use 5ive shocks as well. Thi k john parks has done it a time or 2 as well

My problem with IRC is namely fit and finish, as well as parts missing upon arrival, just odd problems I'm not interested in going through.
Once my replacement bits arrive I'll check the ball drive cups.
Can just use 5ive shocks as well. Thi k john parks has done it a time or 2 as well
The bummer is that they seem relatively difficult to find in the UK, which seems ridiculous to me.
Checked RCModelz/Modelsport to no avail, they're the larger 1/5th shops that I'm aware of.

theres also wheelspin models as well mate, but i looked on there and they had nowt, plus wheelspin can be expensive and bad on delivery,
and theres silverback rc , but jason there doesn't seem to keep a massive amount of stock,
i think rcmax stock some spares as well as upgrades an all (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks