Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Large Scale RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Large Scale RC!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Anyone ever tried this?

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC Electronics' started by Scruffy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Scruffy

Scruffy Well-Known Member

I didn't want to go with a 7.4v lipo(don't want to take the chance with a fire with kids in the house). So I bought 6 sub-c cells, 1.2v each and made my own 7.2v nimh pack 20171211_193700.jpg This really woke up the 7.4v Savox steering servo. And I found a great deal on a Savox 1270tg servo on eBay for the brake/throttle. 49 bucks shipped:) Now I'll just have to get the Killer RC taller receiver box lid and everything will fit like a glove:)

MARLEY76 likes this.
  2. Whoduh

Whoduh Well-Known Member

Have you looked into LIFE batteries? A little less voltage but no fires.

FedsRevenge likes this.
  3. Thrasher

Thrasher Well-Known Member

I've considered it often, using those batteries used for boxmod vaping devices but never actually done it. Now I might. But fires??? Are Lipo's really that volatile? If they were, then I doubt they would be legal to sell to private citizens.

4. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

lipo's are very safe if used right, the only thing you can do wrong is massively overcharge to get them to burst. They need to be protected from impact also and make sure you do not drop them below a set voltage which can also be a pain, great battery for punch and performance but need more care for sure to keep them going well. As for fire .... no not unless you abuse in crazy ways

Thrasher likes this.
  5. Whoduh

Whoduh Well-Known Member

I agree with what you said...all true...but he didnt want to deal with lipos.....gave a different option besides the nimh