Are my cells dead?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beazel

Hi there folks, long time reader, first time poster here...

I've got 2 sets of 5 cell Amex brand battery packs for my FG's receiver and 2x 2100mah transmitter packs. All of which seem to be false peaking very early on in their charges (around about 200 - 700mah).

I'm charging them with an Ansmann Racing XMove Deluxe charger (http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=28857) and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to sort them out.

So far I've tried cycling them (didn't help) and trickle charging them (two of them got red hot).
Is it time to throw the lot away and start again or am I gonna have to get a better charger?

Many thanks in advance peeps, great site BTW.
Beaz

Welcome Aboard Beaz. nice to see ya post up. even if its a problem post.

are these new or old packs?

'Allo again,

All battery packs are less than 20 charges old and appear to be charging/discharging the same amount.
I'm also open to the suggestion that I may have killed them by negligence. None of the batteries were broken in with a trickle charge (I didn't know at the time) but were charged the first few times on less than 1 amp. All my 1/10th scale 7.2 volt packs seem fine so i'm at a loss to figure this one out.

Whoops, should have put that shouldn't I?
Yeah, they're all NiMH's. The RX batts are 3700 and 4300mah and the TX packs are 2100's.
I think the oldest one of them's less than 6 months.

Been charging at about half the rate of the battery unless I was in a rush.
The highest any of the batts has been charged at is 1C. What's a good rate to trickle charge? I've heard a tenth of the capacity for 14-15 hours may be good to bring all the cells up together but this type of charge nearly burst one of the packs before so I'm not convinced!

Welcome! You said they're false peaking - if you have a volt meter what's the voltage they get up to after charging? I wonder if this might not be an unbalanced cell problem. It's happened to me a few times but not 4 packs at once :(

Yeah, I was wondering if I've done something wrong to cane 4 packs in one go. I'm gonna discharge the lot of them then run a 10-12 hour charge at C/10. Looks like I'm gonna have to do a Halfords run and get a multimeter too.

Fabe: What's the voltage supposed to be?

Thanks for all your replies, I'll try everything and if not, I'll buy a new lot and learn a lesson...

Beazel, the voltage for charged cells is around 1.4 volts per cell (these cells are called 1.2 volt cells since their nominal voltage is 1.2 volts). This would end up being near 7 volts for the 5-cell packs you have and 11.2 if your transmitter packs are 8-cell. This'll give you a ballpark estimate to know whether they're nearly charged or not at all. When I've got a problem with a false peak I like to tear the pack apart and operate.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks