Are reed valves worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't worry when I get videos of it running you will see what I mean watch that 26cc mcd my Baja is quicker than that theres also a guy called evan who has a fg 29.5cc who has videos beating the rcmax 55 in a drag and then jimbos 32cc zen nearly beating an alx super 40 in a drag

don't worry when I get videos of it running you will see what I mean watch that 26cc mcd my Baja is quicker than that theres also a guy called evan who has a fg 29.5cc who has videos beating the rcmax 55 in a drag and then jimbos 32cc zen nearly beating an alx super 40 in a drag

Traction or not them bigbore guys use brps and the engines produce to much power for traction and you cant blame a loss on being overpowered can you? I'm trying the power to weight setup low to medium power light weight etc race logic not cutting grass logic

5 completely different rigs, completely different gearing, different tuners, how are you even comparing? Your also not blaming a race on be overpowered, but rather no traction.

Apples to oranges ?‍♂️
Well in all sports its apples and oranges then no one gives a crap what engines and gearing your running but they do care about the results like I said look up hpi Baja 5b London's YouTube channel his little fg leopard certainly doesn't care what the other cars gearing and displacement is . The owner of those 5 rigs set them up for what they do and also for what they believe is optimal performance those big engines are powerful but theres alot of proof that you don't need 71cc to beat 71cc in a race let's use our heads and stop being silly for a sec a 6 cylinder Nissan gtr and an inline 4cylinder motorcycle can eat an 8cylinder and 12 cylinder Lamborghini for breakfast it's only an idiot who believes bigger displacement is always fastest also 1320video might help you understand on YouTube I've personally witnessed a Mercedes amg c63 s(biturbo v8) get left by a 2008 Honda civic k series with a secondhand turbo on the purley way in Croydon didnt even stand a chance he also blamed it on something else other than he lost
Well in all sports its apples and oranges then no one gives a crap what engines and gearing your running but they do care about the results like I said look up hpi Baja 5b London's YouTube channel his little fg leopard certainly doesn't care what the other cars gearing and displacement is . The owner of those 5 rigs set them up for what they do and also for what they believe is optimal performance those big engines are powerful but theres alot of proof that you don't need 71cc to beat 71cc in a race let's use our heads and stop being silly for a sec a 6 cylinder Nissan gtr and an inline 4cylinder motorcycle can eat an 8cylinder and 12 cylinder Lamborghini for breakfast it's only an idiot who believes bigger displacement is always fastest also 1320video might help you understand on YouTube I've personally witnessed a Mercedes amg c63 s(biturbo v8) get left by a 2008 Honda civic k series with a secondhand turbo on the purley way in Croydon didnt even stand a chance he also blamed it on something else other than he lost
Point is you gear those bigger engines up more the smaller
But anyway I'm done YouTube has the answers just watch some videos maybe American muscle vs turbo supra or something

I'm sorry but I just have a hard time believing a 6hp (or around there) 30cc can get even close to a 19hp 71cc or even a around 14hp 46cc, it just doesn't make sense. Plus the gearing and everything. MAYBE just maybe if you had some long ass gears it would be closer, but then at that point, it's a waste becuase you'll have terrible acceleration and it would be a terrible driving RC. Also your comparing completely different vehicles as John Parks said, and your comparing your comparison to 1:1 scale races, like you mentioned a MODIFIED k series Civic gapping a STOCK c63 amg, you cannot compare becuase they are 2 different class of vehicles, completely different types of engines, ect, you cannot compare them, it makes no sense, same thing in Rc,.
Anyways, As my contribution to this thread, probably not, from what I understand your talking about a bolt on reed? If so, it's probably not going to give you alot of gains if any without specifical porting and modification, so no, I wouldn't go for it, but if you really do want to experiment, go for it!

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I just have a hard time believing a 6hp (or around there) 30cc can get even close to a 19hp 71cc or even a around 14hp 46cc, it just doesn't make sense. Plus the gearing and everything. MAYBE just maybe if you had some long ass gears it would be closer, but then at that point, it's a waste becuase you'll have terrible acceleration and it would be a terrible driving RC. Anyways, As my contribution to this thread, probably not, from what I understand your talking about a bolt on reed? If so, it's probably not going to give you alot of gains if any without specifical porting and modification, so no, I wouldn't go for it, but if you really do want to experiment, go for it!
Your as wrong as can be theres enough videos on YouTube like I said look for the esp 29cc fg leopard on rcmax UK and hpi Baja 5b London's channels your really not serious that's like saying Kawasaki h2r cant beat a supercar in a race ??? Or a gtr cant beat a Ferrari or Lamborghini in a race etc I'm leaving this conversation now lool it's pointless even typing just use Google and YouTube or take out your cars and pick a race with any 600cc + bike or maybe even an Audi a1 make sure it's the 2litre one tho or a vw r32 lol and let's leave it at that
I'm sorry but I just have a hard time believing a 6hp (or around there) 30cc can get even close to a 19hp 71cc or even a around 14hp 46cc, it just doesn't make sense. Plus the gearing and everything. MAYBE just maybe if you had some long ass gears it would be closer, but then at that point, it's a waste becuase you'll have terrible acceleration and it would be a terrible driving RC. Also your comparing completely different vehicles as John Parks said, and your comparing your comparison to 1:1 scale races, like you mentioned a MODIFIED k series Civic gapping a STOCK c63 amg, you cannot compare becuase they are 2 different class of vehicles, completely different types of engines, ect, you cannot compare them, it makes no sense, same thing in Rc,.
Anyways, As my contribution to this thread, probably not, from what I understand your talking about a bolt on reed? If so, it's probably not going to give you alot of gains if any without specifical porting and modification, so no, I wouldn't go for it, but if you really do want to experiment, go for it!
Also the Mercedes might be stock but biturbo even modified it would just be close gheez just refer to YouTube for these things a race is a race nothing needs to be the same otherwise there wouldn't be a race you judge by performance and the end result is it not ?even two people running are wearing different trainers different breakfast different habits etc so I guess when one wins you have to factor everything in other than the fact he outperformed the other??? Or you argue you ate a heavier breakfast or he took a dump earlier so he was a bit lighter that's why he won?? I make sense you guys don't you think in a box I'm outside the box

Last edited:
Your as wrong as can be theres enough videos on YouTube like I said look for the esp 29cc fg leopard on rcmax UK and hpi Baja 5b London's channels your really not serious that's like saying Kawasaki h2r cant beat a supercar in a race ??? Or a gtr cant beat a Ferrari or Lamborghini in a race etc I'm leaving this conversation now lool it's pointless even typing just use Google and YouTube or take out your cars and pick a race with any 600cc + bike or maybe even an Audi a1 make sure it's the 2litre one tho or a vw r32 lol and let's leave it at that
I've seen those videos of Bikes gapping supercars and stuff, you cannot compare they are 2 COMPLETELY different class of vehicles with 2 COMPLETELY different engines with 2 completely different gearing, with 2 completely different wieght, it doesn't make any sense to compare the 2. My point is, your comparison is wrong, and if the 29cc wasn't in a light ass Fg and instead installed in a Baja with similar weight and both tuned properly (even if the big bore wasn't tuned very well and at a disadvantage), the big bore would destroy the 29 of course. I don't know what your trying to prove here, that big bores are a waste of money?? Overpriced?? Just becuase you cannot afford one?? You see the vids, big bores (especially the new RCMAX supreme line) have unparalleled power and with the right gearing, unparalleled speed by any other class of engine which shouldn't be a surprise.

But anyway I'm not involved in this thread because it's too funny I'm just gonna smoke my spliff and play black ops I might get slaughtered because I'm high or maybe I might win because I'm high or my ps4 controller is just a stock one
I've seen those videos of Bikes gapping supercars and stuff, you cannot compare they are 2 COMPLETELY different class of vehicles with 2 COMPLETELY different engines with 2 completely different gearing, with 2 completely different wieght, it doesn't make any sense to compare the 2. My point is, your comparison is wrong, and if the 29cc wasn't in a light ass Fg and instead installed in a Baja with similar weight and both tuned properly (even if the big bore wasn't tuned very well and at a disadvantage), the big bore would destroy the 29 of course. I don't know what your trying to prove here, that big bores are a waste of money?? Overpriced?? Just becuase you cannot afford one?? You see the vids, big bores (especially the new RCMAX supreme line) have unparalleled power and with the right gearing, unparalleled speed by any other class of engine which shouldn't be a surprise.
Lol I would love a bigbore if your buying but whatever way you put it theres guys maxing out on bigbore speedruns at 60mph + and- theres people doing it with smaller engines -60+ and - also class or not you race it you lose and you lose again etc then everything else is just making excuses more hp doesn't always mean more speed like YOU said theres alot of factors but if you race they aren't excuses you pay up ?? Again just use YouTube for reference I mean even nitro rcs have clocked up to 80mph doesn't that make it better if your purpose is to be fast ? If I had a nitro myself that was that fast and was able to run on grass and jumps I'd race it and a win is a win no matter the reason behind it therefore the winner was the better vehicle for that event and showed it onlookers will only care about who won you take a race you lose because you tripped or he was smaller and lighter well news flash who lost that's an example but now I'm getting high so...

Last edited:
But anyway I'm not involved in this thread because it's too funny I'm just gonna smoke my spliff and play black ops I might get slaughtered because I'm high or maybe I might win because I'm high or my ps4 controller is just a stock one

Lol I would love a bigbore if your buying but whatever way you put it theres guys maxing out on bigbore speedruns at 60mph + and- theres people doing it with smaller engines -60+ and - also class or not you race it you lose and you lose again etc then everything else is just making excuses more hp doesn't always mean more speed like YOU said theres alot of factors but if you race they aren't excuses you pay up ?? Again just use YouTube for reference I mean even nitro rcs have clocked up to 80mph doesn't that make it better if your purpose is to be fast ? If I had a nitro myself that was that fast and was able to run on grass and jumps I'd race it and a win is a win no matter the reason behind it therefore the winner was the better vehicle for that event and showed it onlookers will only care about who won you take a race you lose because you tripped or he was smaller and lighter well news flash who lost that's an example but now I'm getting high so...
Again, nitro, different class, different engine, different weight, your blindly comparing things that are totally different which makes zero sense. Excuse me, when I said unparalleled speed, I meant practical speed, which means, a big bore can go 70mph effortlessly, those smaller engines that can go 60mph or whatever, take ages to get up there and you can't keep hot lapping that speed (like you can with a big bore) otherwise you'll overheat becuase of the tall ass gearing, plus those smaller engines 99% of the time can only do that speed on road, them big bores can do it off road easily, I'll post the vid if I can find it again.
Here

I was gonna write a big rant about how it's always one guys rc smoking everyone else's but there's no point. If you want to race go and find a spec class where everything is the same. Look at any professional racing. They don't run super cars with an f1 racer it would be stupid. And anything can be modded for power so stop comparing a 10 cent Honda to a 50k amg.

Fellas!! - Somewhere we've gotten off track.
I would ask we stay on topic,as much I love automobile/motorcycle racing and all,I started the thread for info on reed/addon based engines.
I asked with intent of learning something.
Im not trying to be a horses rear but please don't use this to air your bias unrelated to topic. There's plenty of space to attack each other in Your own thread.
I haven't been here long but nothing ruins a site more then peoples egos.
It's amazing how fast a subject can be hi -jacked by people with something to prove.
Which always seems to be about something other then the topic posted.
If this is the case please start your own thread.
Sorry been there,done that,seen that.
It does nothing to help but cause animosity and insults.
Thank you ?

Fellas!! - Somewhere we've gotten off track.
I would ask we stay on topic,as much I love automobile/motorcycle racing and all,I started the thread for info on reed/addon based engines.
I asked with intent of learning something.
Im not trying to be a horses rear but please don't use this to air your bias unrelated to topic. There's plenty of space to attack each other in Your own thread.
I haven't been here long but nothing ruins a site more then peoples egos.
It's amazing how fast a subject can be hi -jacked by people with something to prove.
Which always seems to be about something other then the topic posted.
If this is the case please start your own thread.
Sorry been there,done that,seen that.
It does nothing to help but cause animosity and insults.
Thank you ?
Ok I'm done lol. Sorry for derailing your thread mate!!!!!

To be continued on another thread another day about something else lol ..did you decide on what carb you were going with?

No problem,sometimes people need a reminder of were all in this rc hobby together.
I just spoke about that in the 990 thread.
Anyone have a carb to sell,still need one anyway for whatever I put in the Evo.
Me personally, I would wait until you decide on your engine of choice. Then decide what carb you want. But my recommendations would go in this order 1107, 813, 990. (Either or 813/990 same carb 813 has accelerator pump)

I have the engine/engines.
Freshly delivered today.✔✔
OBR 29.5 FM/STUFFED/BILLET CASE.
Engine wise i have:
Zenoah 29cc-ESP Head
Zenoah 26cc 2bolt
Zenoah 29.5cc OBR -FM S/B - Brand new
CY V26cc 4bolt - Brand new
Zenoah 23cc w/ 25.4 Big Bore Head

Attachments

• 0724191953a~01.jpg
    0724191953a~01.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've had some issues with 2 bolt engines and getting them to seal up to the crank right. So imo a 4 bolt would be better, even if it is a cy. I see you have a zen 29 with esp top end listed. If it's a 4 bolt I would toss that in. And good steal on your fg parts!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks