Baja 5B Bogging In Sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BajaBlitz2001

Hello everyone!
Im new to the forum (and large scale in general) so I'm learning a bunch while I mess around with my baja. I picked up a 35CC Rovan Baja of OfferUp about 2 months ago and its been crazy fun. It flies and sounds great. I run her with 32:1 mix 2 cycle on 93 octane as the previous owner suggested. On pavement, the baja is fantastic, hit 50mph on GPS. However, I bought sand paddles for it recently and am having an issue. I run in loose beach sand (Miami), and I get about 15 minutes of run time before she bogs and sounds like she's quitting. Once I turn it off for a while and let it rest, it fires back up again and runs around for more until it bogs. Im assuming the sand stresses the engine more than pavement because when I ran electrics in the sand I used to have to let them rest as well. I also run outerwares on the intake and the starter area of the car to keep the sand out.

I wanted to know is this a tuning issue or is this type of thing normal? I would like to get the most possible life out of the engine rather than do some unnecessary wear.
Thank you!!

Hello everyone!
Im new to the forum (and large scale in general) so I'm learning a bunch while I mess around with my baja. I picked up a 35CC Rovan Baja of OfferUp about 2 months ago and its been crazy fun. It flies and sounds great. I run her with 32:1 mix 2 cycle on 93 octane as the previous owner suggested. On pavement, the baja is fantastic, hit 50mph on GPS. However, I bought sand paddles for it recently and am having an issue. I run in loose beach sand (Miami), and I get about 15 minutes of run time before she bogs and sounds like she's quitting. Once I turn it off for a while and let it rest, it fires back up again and runs around for more until it bogs. Im assuming the sand stresses the engine more than pavement because when I ran electrics in the sand I used to have to let them rest as well. I also run outerwares on the intake and the starter area of the car to keep the sand out.

I wanted to know is this a tuning issue or is this type of thing normal? I would like to get the most possible life out of the engine rather than do some unnecessary wear.
Thank you!!
The fact that it's runs fine and then stops but then runs fine after resting makes me think overheating. Running lean could cause it to run hotter if I'm not mistaken. 32:1 is already a leaner mix, if your carb is leaned out too that could be overheating it. When was the last time you cleaned your air filter? If you're running in sand these oiled filters will get caked up very easily. I know of lot of guys who ride dirt bikes clean and re-oil their filter after every riding session.

The fact that it's runs fine and then stops but then runs fine after resting makes me think overheating. Running lean could cause it to run hotter if I'm not mistaken. 32:1 is already a leaner mix, if your carb is leaned out too that could be overheating it. When was the last time you cleaned your air filter? If you're running in sand these oiled filters will get caked up very easily. I know of lot of guys who ride dirt bikes clean and re-oil their filter after every riding session.

Hey thanks for your reply! I clean the air filter after almost every run if it’s dusty. I’m going to try to richen the high speed needle tmr. I believe it’s overheating as well

32 to 1 is not lean. You guys need to stop referring to oil ratio as lean and rich. It's a lubricant not fuel. The less oil you run the richer the fuel becomes. Oil molecules are larger then the fuel molecules, hence more oil will "lean" the fuel air mix out if nothing is adjusted in the carb. 32 to 1 is a perfectly safe and fine oil ratio, I run 40 to 1 with no issues. Having said that. I agree with an overheat issue. However its not from the oil ratio. Is your primer bulb full on the carb? It would be helpful if there was a video of it doing what your talking about.

32 to 1 is not lean. You guys need to stop referring to oil ratio as lean and rich. It's a lubricant not fuel. The less oil you run the richer the fuel becomes. Oil molecules are larger then the fuel molecules, hence more oil will "lean" the fuel air mix out if nothing is adjusted in the carb. 32 to 1 is a perfectly safe and fine oil ratio, I run 40 to 1 with no issues. Having said that. I agree with an overheat issue. However its not from the oil ratio. Is your primer bulb full on the carb? It would be helpful if there was a video of it doing what your talking about.

Uhh. I knew that. I just posted wrong carb info so that you would show up and answer ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks