Baja 5B Flux Motor Fitment Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuperchieff

Hey all. With the release of the 5B Flux kit, I'm just wondering how long the motor compartment is. I'm trying to find out how long of a motor I can fit in there. Specifically, I want to know if Hobbywing's 70125 MAX4 motor will fit. I may want to build a 12S Baja if I can. Can length is just under 5 inches.

EDIT: Diameter too. Think it would fit?

D / L: 70mm (2.760in) / 125mm (4.921in)

Last edited:
Heh. I wouldn't be against some modifications to make it work. I think the hardest part would be fitting two 6S batteries in the battery box. Just wondering if anyone had actual measurements. I messaged HPI on Facebook and they just gave me a boilerplate answer

Isn't the kit the same as the old Flux RTR? Thought I would ask, if anyone has one of those and/or knows exactly how big of a motor would fit.

But I choose to overpower a Baja lol. As long as the motor would fit without much modification. I can fab custom parts for RCs so if it's simple enough I can make it work.

Thanks lol, this helps me at least get an idea of what I'd be up against.

The Castle motor looks like it's right up onto the left chassis brace. Modifying that part to accommodate a longer motor shouldn't be an issue. It'd reduce stiffness which may be an issue, but I may be able to design in some additional reinforcements.

The motor width is probably going to be the hardest to account for. The HW motor needs an additional 7.112mm radial distance over the Castle. The one area where I see that beign a potential issue would be the bottom of the motor housing.

What I may do is just order the brace and motor mount separately and create a mock-up of the motor to test modifications.

All that aside, fitting two 6S batteries in that battery box will be a challenge :D

Why don't you just wait for the vesla to come out? The pictures of the platform are much better laid out then the baja.
A few reasons. I'm already building a gas Baja with the TSK-B cage (currently painting the panels). I know the wider track on the Vesla makes it more stable, but aesthetically I prefer the narrower track width on the Baja. Also, unless the Vesla comes offered as a kit I don't really want to pay the premium for some electronics that I'm going to wind up not using. The only appeal I have in an electric fifth scale is whether or not I can stick the MAX4 combo in it, otherwise I'm all about gas at that scale.

I haven't committed to the Flux kit yet. I'm definitely building a gas kit though. I just need to know if I can make the MAX4 work in the Flux, then I'd consider building one. I enjoy building them almost as much as I enjoy driving them, and if I'm building it from scratch I want to make it unique. I laugh at Horizon Hobby's "completion guide" which is basically the exact same electronics as what the RTR comes with. Building a kit gives you an opportunity to make it truly unique. To me that means some wild electronics. What's the fun in building a kit if you're just going to build a carbon copy of the RTR?

Yeah, and I also hope they bring back the SX5 cage, even if it's as another variant of the Vesla. It's a cool-looking cage. The Vesla looks like a much better platform for what I'm planning, that much is true.

The build manual says a 56/58 x 113mm can motor, and shows yhe battery tray dimensions. Download it from the HPI website

You'll need to run 12s lipo with the big Hobbywing motor, and you won't fit 2x6S lipo in the battery tray

If you want power and speed, then go with either the Castle xlx2 1100kv combo, or my preference would be either the Castle xlx2 or Max5 and the Leopard 58113 1050kv

I plan on getting one too, but i'll just be running the stock electronics i pulled from my recent DBXLe purchase, that's more than enough for a lightweight 2wd baja

But I choose to overpower a Baja lol. As long as the motor would fit without much modification. I can fab custom parts for RCs so if it's simple enough I can make it work.
Hey, so how did the Max4 motor in the flux work out? I am in the process of doing the same thing in Feb. 24

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks