Baja 5B wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

Hello

I am new into the 1/5 scale hobby... so please be patient...
I got 2 used Baja 5B SS 26cc cars...
One starts up perfect every time (choke, pull a couple times, no choke, pull and start).
The other one is giving me a lot of problems...
I have swapped spark plugs (they all work). They are using the same fresh fuel.
When I first got it it took me along time to start... and then it would not hold idle for long.
I finally tore the carb down, cleaned it up, cleaned the air filters, reset needles, and it was finally working. I got one afternoon in, ran about two tanks, maybe 3.
A couple weeks later I try to start it up and it wont go...
I have checked spark, I reset the coil gap. I tried the coil from the good car...

Here is my method:
Prime the bulb
choke on
pull the starter cord... I never get any pop like it is igniting... I can pull and pull and nothing. After going at it for a while, I can tip the car back and I get fuel dripping out the tail pipe.

What else should I try?
Could the carb be bad?
any help appreciated...
(to make matters worse, my car that does run just snapped a drive shaft so I have nothing to run till parts arrive!)

Check see of your manifold is warped or cracked. You didnt over oil the filter? Seems to be a common issue for noobs. Umm you didnt flood it by chance? Pop carb off, take plug out. Pull over a few times. Stick plug back in pull over should rev up then die.bolt carb on try to start.

Check see of your manifold is warped or cracked. You didnt over oil the filter? Seems to be a common issue for noobs. Umm you didnt flood it by chance? Pop carb off, take plug out. Pull over a few times. Stick plug back in pull over should rev up then die.bolt carb on try to start.
I tried just taking plug out, flipping over and pull over... saw some fuel put out, check spark, plug back in, no change.
Intake manifold?
I also tried with no filter on... the previous owner over oiled the filters but I have cleaned them up.
I will try to remove carb and do your method... Thanks

Don't yank all day with choke on. You'll flood it. 2 or 3 then choke off. Dunno if thats your issue
Good to know...
So after a couple tugs with choke, remove choke and pull?
What would be the recommended method at that point? (Just trying to get some knowledge)

Good to know...
So after a couple tugs with choke, remove choke and pull?
What would be the recommended method at that point? (Just trying to get some knowledge)
Yes, when choked your dumping fuel into the engine. Primer bulb only brings it to the carb. You seem to have spark down, and should atleast run on factory tune. So its either a air leak, vacuum, or compression loss. Give it a go without flooding it first and we can go further if needed.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

TLDR - Got it started, and did some tuning on low end... New problem though... Once i set it down, or hit the brakes it will stall

Long version:
Took carb off, would not start at all... put on new plug, a couple tugs and it sputtered to life and slowly built up RPM, then died.
Put the carb back on with just the prefilter, made sure needles were at 1.5 and 1.25 turns. Used recommended method, and it started up...
I had it wheels up off the ground still, so I was able to test operation.. Motor is running well... played a bit with LE needle and idle set screw... However, if I hit the brake it stalls out.
Soooo, this is why it would never start... I think the drive train is stuck somewhere... So on the ground, trying to start it was impossible...
I also started it, put it on the ground, and as soon as it was down it would stall...
I have some experience with 1:10 nitro, so I am familiar with the drive train idea here...
Does this mean the clutch is engaging too soon?? what should I check for?

Yes sounds like either the clutch spring is stretched/broken or the clutch and clutch material have parted ways???
Looks like a combination...
When I took the clutch bell off, the spring was just hanging onto one pad.. Got the pads out and they were pretty well worn down.
I put in a fresh set and now she is running perfect!!!

Thanks for all the help!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks