baja 5t gearing 17/57 or 19/55

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. 16/58 first and 20/54 2nd is what 2 speed is. the 17/57 is closer to what 1st gear is and should still give lots of low end torque, but wont go as fast as the 2 speed. if you go with 19/55 thats closer to top end of 2 speed, so it may be a lot less torque on low end. it just depends on what ya want. if kickin round offroading i would go 17/57, if getting it on smoother surface like asphalt or hardpack flat runs, then the other.

Last edited:
Thinking about giving up on the 2 speed also not because of probs but hell unless I am running balls to the wall across a soccer or football field I hardley have any use for it!!!

Keep us posted on how it goes.

thats where i can do that, got a stretch of road out front, and a open field, when its mowed down. also another location of road to haul balls down. i love hearing that 2 speed kick in.

I heard that the 2 speed works better in the truck rather than on the buggy... Doesn't make sense since they're pretty much the same. I might be getting a 5T later in the year, thinking of putting the two speed in the truck... Anybody heard of this '2-speed-better-in-the-truck' thing, or is that just a myth?

I heard that the 2 speed works better in the truck rather than on the buggy... Doesn't make sense since they're pretty much the same. I might be getting a 5T later in the year, thinking of putting the two speed in the truck... Anybody heard of this '2-speed-better-in-the-truck' thing, or is that just a myth?

i have a truck an the 2speed did good but in 2 months since new ive been threw 3 owb, i would check the bearing after every run, other than that it was fast. with the 5b my buddy has we race all the time an hes never had to replace a owb. we both stay neck to neck racing, i think it did great in the truck.

What motor do you have ? if you have a torquey engine then the 18/56 would be best, i think the standard 17/57 might be a little slow at top end after using the 2 speed..

By the way which 2 speed have you got..?

What motor do you have ? if you have a torquey engine then the 18/56 would be best, i think the standard 17/57 might be a little slow at top end after using the 2 speed..

By the way which 2 speed have you got..?

i have the km 2speed, im doing tests to see what gearing i like best. ill post back what works best

thanks

i run the g290 with a ss pipe and the 18/56 gearing a still the 6000rpm spring in my 5b. with hostle mx tires and running a little on the rich side (cause the motor only has 3 tanks through it, so still new) the tires tear up the grass and she's fast. that motor is rated at 3.5hp without a pipe so if got a motor thats around that or more then i would go with the 18/56 so you can get the best of both worlds.

I am running the 4 bolt Zen G290 w/ a CPI BB pipe and just for grins adjusted 2nd to shift real early yesterday. It basically shifted when it first started rolling but pulled 2nd throwing dirt and pulling a wheelie without a problem.

cool, i think i have mine set a lil on high side still, might have to loosen it up a hair to kick in just a tad sooner. when it was all factory set at first before the teardowns for upgrades it kicked in right where i wanted it to, but i messed with things and having to reset it. its almost there, it does kick in, just has to get the rpms on up there.

wheelieing off the start would be cool to see.

Going single speed!!! Waiting on 17/57 to show up in the mail,just could not keep running the two speed cause never really used 2nd gear the way I run. I will let all know how it turns out...:)

Going single speed!!! Waiting on 17/57 to show up in the mail,just could not keep running the two speed cause never really used 2nd gear the way I run. I will let all know how it turns out...:)

been running my single speed an its doing great like it way better than 2 speed. i got alot more power everywhere i need it

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks