Baja drive problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory

Well my baja doesn't run properly out of the box. Took it for a proper run tonight for first time, and somehow the power isnt getting put down and somethings slipping..

It will drive along on low throttle and pick up a little speed , but as soon as I try to use 1/2 throttle or more it just revs and goes nowhere.

I took the clutch bell off to have a look, and the clutch shoes look fine. I couldnt seem to move them out though, are they very stiff to move? Its an 8000rpm clutch spring allegedly. The inside of the bell was ok as well.

So Im thinking its something else, in the diff or something? With the left hand wheel held still, and the right hand wheel free to turn, when turning the brake shaft its fine, the right hand wheel turns easily. Nice and normal Id think. But ...

vice versa, trying to turn the other wheel in the air with the other held, again via brake shaft, it turns sometimes a little way then locks solid, I cant turn it.

Last edited:
could be a number of things mate, if this is a new baja contact who you bought it from and let them know, if its a diff or something you should have to buy new parts if the baja is still knew.

clutch is the first thing to look at, even a stock spring would be very difficult to move using hands. check your pinion gear and spur gear, make sure they are secure, if the looks good check layshaft gear.

before doing that if your hobby shop aint fair from home I would take it to them though as any work they do or parts they use shouldnt cost you anything.

bummer its like this out of the box though, keep at it, when their working their awesome machines!

there another bloke from the states on this forum with the same problem, as sperera said it could be a number of things, but if it were your diff it would make nasty noise,s and in the end it would just stop, it could be the drive gears inside the gearbox, but i,d say its more likely to be the alloy clutch mount behind the shoes is loose,

Last edited:
Ok after an afternoon messing around with it , I think I have it sorted. The metal arm behind the clutch shoes wasnt bolted on tight enough ... I was turning the clutch by hand and had noticed it wasnt turning the engine over all the time. Thanks for your suggestion Pablo looks like you were right ! :)

So tightening that up seems to have done the trick so far , after a very quick test in the garden. Will it hold up for a bit of bashing tonight? We shall soon see lol

Ok after an afternoon messing around with it , I think I have it sorted. The metal arm behind the clutch shoes wasnt bolted on tight enough ... I was turning the clutch by hand and had noticed it wasnt turning the engine over all the time. Thanks for your suggestion Pablo looks like you were right ! :)

So tightening that up seems to have done the trick so far , after a very quick test in the garden. Will it hold up for a bit of bashing tonight? We shall soon see lol

if it don,t get a new arm for it the one thats on now may have worn with spinning on the crank, there a tapered fit and should fit tight,

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks