Baja Engine upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
After looking online in both LSF and HBF:eek:nline2long: and reading what I could on top end upgrades, which it seams most have bought the whole motor. I think I have it down to the following three candidates and would like to make a decision by the end of the week. Could I get some feedback from you on what you like about your decision or what you wish you would of done knowing what you do now on the choice of top end upgrade you've done?

I do understand that any choice will be an improvement over stock but I want to make sure if there is a troublesome one I stay clear of it.
I really like just bashing around on gravel piles, grass areas, exc. Oh, and I'm running with the Dom pipe.

I'm sorry to ask such a typical, over asked, generic, question such as this but having no experience in it I feel like a newbie again.

1. I read that the http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product616.html 29cc has had some seizure problems with plating problems but is a good overall for high RPM's with added low end from stock and the low end can be increased using a stuffed crank.

2. I read that the http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product87.html 30.5cc upgrade is a low end monster with some lack on the high rpm's but can be geared higher with a minimum loss of low end.

3. I read the http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1268.html GP290 28.5cc is the (Best) better of the top ends that CY makes due to improved plating and from what the engine modifiers see coming into there shops.

4. Oh, forgot. And everyone likes the all around Zenoah - http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1901.html

Thank you,
BTB:helpsmilie:

Last edited:
Wish I could help you, but there are so many options now, its kind of daunting. I think I am going for the 27.2 myself, that looked very good at the dunes for alot of people.

if you get the ESP 30.5 which is Race Ported, you ll have very little differance in top RPM, tuned pipe dependant.

i was very impressed with my DDM race ported 28.5.

though i ve had 2 cy low end puke out by killing the clutch side crank bearing.
im done wiht CY low ends now!!!! only Zens with Good Bearings will be used from now on.
and only with a topend that is either Zens or the CY 28.5 or 30.5(same topends but the 30.5 uses the 2mm cy crank)

Like Rob said, there is a small plethera of options and can be daunting, and yes those 27.2s are the cats ass.
T

Thank you almighty engine tweakers.:)
I have made the choice to go with the 27.2 and stay with the Zen name and quality. I will be running it with my Dom pipe.:)

Thats what I hear, the 27.2 gives some low end but still has high revs. The 30.5 is awsome low end (punch) but some loss of revs.:cool2:

if the 30.5 has been ported then you see alot more topend.

ive seen a few well ported 30.5s that rev out just as well as the 26s or 28.5 using the 28mm crank.

you ll certainly like the 27.2!!!

i think the cost is counter prohibative here in the states.

I hear they run about 1200 usd.
i can custom build a TS Reed Case motor for 1/2 to 3/4s the price.

The ALRO 26CC RETAIL FOR £350GBP. BUT FOR THAT YOUR GETTING A FULLY RACE BLOWN ENGINE WITH UNREAL POWER RIGHT THROUGH THE REV RANGE! I have a full alloy marder that is around 20 kg in weight, and it;s still lifting the front wheels on tarmac!

for 700 USD you could buy an ESP Zen 260 fully raced out, and a new tuned pipe for it and get it shipped free.

for 700. you could also build a TS Reed Case motor with ESP Portwork on it.

T

Last edited:
Nice, think you will be able to get the set up over to LT or someone to get it dyno'd? Will be a great find if testing and time makes it worthy. Hope it works and it gets the HP that it says, that will be real cool cost savings for a good power plant.:cool2:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks