Baja noise - turtle pull starter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smietana

Hi,

I've got some problem with, I suppose, turtle pull starter. Look at the videos please.

Noise:

Turtle pull starter inside:

What can be wrong?

I do not wish to diss turtle pull starters but I have had several as I was so impressed with the first one I bought but I found that they just broke for a past time. I have to accept that this could have been operator error but I changed back to standard and this was much better. I have recently changed to the rovan easy starter and so far I am very impressed but not had them long enough to see how robust they are. But my advice would be to ditch the turtle and get a rovan.

Damn I just ordered one of theses TR pull starts. Hope the prawls on the new one aren't like those in the video . I have the Rovan easy start on my 36cc now ,it came with it . The prawls tend to stick and they have a lot of play . Although I haven't had any issues with the pull start .

This pull starter is brand new - first run, ok third in the video :) Clutch and spring are good.

I know that raising idle will help, but it's sad that turtle is doing things like that :(

Thanks for replies

Dear Members,
I been using the v2 pull start for years , the paws will have to be replaced but it took a year, so keep a replacment paw assembly on hand.
Caution: Do not upgrade the cog, keep the plastic one.
The aluminum one will gall and detroy the paws.
Also keep an extra spring on hand, if the cable stops abruptly due to a vapor lock you will blow out the spring and damage the cog, this is a common problem, just take your time when pulling the cable and you can over come this issue.
P.S. The paw noise at idle will not hurt anything, I would rather have a normal idle then turn it up.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.
DSCN1212.jpgDSCN1221.jpgDSCN1161.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks