Baja Trans on Vesla

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazooRC

Build Thread Contributor
So I seen Meyers 2 stroke rc garage posted on YouTube that his Taylor 71 blew the stock transmission gears the other day. No shock there but a couple other people said they ran the Kraken HD gears and still blew them apart with a 50GT.
This scares me because I just dumped a ton of money into my Vesla and to hear this now. I haven’t got to run mine yet because it’s still winter here.
I’m almost 100% that the Baja trans has the same frame bolt pattern as the Vesla. I’m wondering if a Baja trans can be swapped into a Vesla? Or maybe the gears or something since there are no other gear options for a Vesla at the moment.
I don’t have a Baja to test this theory but I know a lot of you guys do. Can anyone help me with this theory?
If the trans fits then we’ll need to see if the diff cups are the same size to accommodate the drive shafts. What else? Mounting holes for shock tower or maybe use a Baja’s? Either way a lot of variable here but if there is a will there is a way lol

It will bolt up for sure, their are pics floating around of them mocked up but nothing ran. Problem with the vesla/baja dogbones and outdrives is the vesla is a cvd type, baja is just a dogbone and cup. I ran into this issue with my hybrid that I put vesla arms on. Baja axles are way shorter, ran into a bunch of issues but managed to overcome them and make something work.

Easy fix is to swap to a baja trans and inner diff cups from the baja, keep the vesla dogbones and out drives, drill out the dogbones on the trans side to accommodate alx or irc pins and run it that way. 20231215_192712.jpg20231008_145754.jpg20231215_192659.jpg20231215_192550.jpg

@John Parks thank you, I knew someone did something like this. I might just have to order a trans and try and retrofit something. You remember what size drill bit you used?
The other option would be to try a different clutch so it doesn’t hit so hard or put the slipper back in?

Perfect thank you sir.
Did the Baja carriers not work with the kraken arms?

No, baja ones are quite a bit wider than the arm. You make them work, but then you'll fight making dogbones also. I'd try it the first way first as it's alot less to do to see if it can be done.

Ok I’m going to order a plastic baja housing and a shaft first and go from there. Thank you again for the help.
Keep us posted, I'd like to see what happens here. I have a TR quick diff setup I changed out if your interested in it

Will do. So I just looked and the vesla trans is dog bone out drives with cvd on the carrier side. 💪🏼
What you looking to get for that? I’m going to try and mock this up as cheap as possible then go Taylor if it all works.

Yep, drilling out the trans side dogbone to fit the pin you would be using would be easy work I feel. I'd imagine you could use the baja gear plate and brake setup and make it work

Exactly what I’m hoping for. I think it’s going to come down to the shock tower. From what I can see in pictures they look close. Might be able to make the Baja work though depends on the shock angle, rear links and body mount.

@John Parks I talked to Mike and he said Kraken is aware of the problem and they are making stronger HD gears. 🎉
I seen fearless has a king motors Baja roller cheap. I may just get that for parts.

It seems to be a problem in certain types or processes of hardening. Blackbone I've never seen a set explode or break, however the DDM Blackmagic ones I've seen explode several times and destroy alot in the trans

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks